twenty-two

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWOWE CAN SEE THE MONSTERS

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO
WE CAN SEE THE MONSTERS

Jacob and I had fallen asleep sometime in the early morning after the sun had risen, and by mid-afternoon, when we had awoken, our father had banned us for leaving since more sheep had been killed, and this time they knew it wasn't Dylan

Jacob and I had fallen asleep sometime in the early morning after the sun had risen, and by mid-afternoon, when we had awoken, our father had banned us for leaving since more sheep had been killed, and this time they knew it wasn't Dylan. My mind was quick to remember the monster we had seen in the hills last night. Anyone could be next.

The rain was heavy against the windowpane, the chatter amongst the little visitors of the Priest Hole was loud as everyone tried to overpower the rain and each other. The loudness of the ground floor could be heard in their room which is what had woken them in the first place.

"Care for a fried sandwich?" Kev asked from behind the bar, a plate full of two sandwich's that he then placed before our father as his camera gear laid across the benchtop, wet.

"Yeah, thanks, Kev." I smiled half-heartedly. I wasn't hungry, but I knew that Jacob and I could share a sandwich as we sat next to one another, our father to my left.

"What happened to your camera?" Jacob asked, trying to make conversation. He and I were both still upset about his action towards my night terror, not that either of us had much hope for him in the first place.

"It started pouring out there," Dad answered, huffing. "That bird watcher knocked me. I dropped it." His answer was short as he stuffed a sandwich into his mouth.

A plate was placed before myself and Jacob, me respectfully, with the fried cheesy bread that looked tasty today. It was most likely because anything would be better than the ashy taste within my mouth after my terror.

Later that night, Jacob and I had left after our father went to sleep, doing our best to sneak out of the room after the snoring started. A bundled picture of the monster within my pocket to question Miss Peregrine about it.

The rain was bucketing down as we ran -more so slipping- across the bog. This time we didn't care if we were wet or muddy. All we cared about was getting to the loop safely. Our hands tightly clasped together, so one or the other doesn't get lost.