thirty-four

CHAPTER THIRTY-FOURLOVE CONFESSIONS

CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR
LOVE CONFESSIONS

Bronwyn and Clair were the first to walk through

Bronwyn and Clair were the first to walk through. They looked sad and disappointed and only walked past us silently, not even looking towards us or saying anything as they walked by. I sighed, the blue peregrine sitting on Bronwyn's shoulder as their caretaker was still yet to transform back.

Fiona and Hugh were the next two. The boys shared a pat on the back while Fiona took me into a hug, then continued without saying a word. Hugh rested a sad hand on my shoulder and took a second to think before bringing me into a hug as well, "Goodbye," was all he said.

Horace walked past with his hands in his pockets. He froze for a second, not looking at us. He seemed conflicted. It was the first time he didn't look sure of what was to come. He couldn't see the future. With a deep sigh, the boy continued through the loop and didn't look back.

Millard and Olive were next, both of them giving us an equally and warming hug as the last. Neither of them knowing what to say but gave us small smiles. Millard froze after stepping onto the carousel and turned back to me. Tears stained his freckled face as he sent me a smile, "It's going to be nice being able to roam around naked again, but it'll never be the same without you." Then, he turned and walked away.

Tears began to form in my eyes, and I knew that staying behind was the wrong decision. We couldn't go back to a home where our parents didn't love us, where we felt trapped in our own home.

Emma and Enoch then stopped in front of us. Enoch almost continued without saying a word other than sending me the heartbroken look on his face, though I quickly stopped him by taking his hand in mine. I stared at the boy I had come to like considerably and wished, hoped that he'd say something, or at least not give me the option to leave. I pleaded for him to tell me to stay through my eyes, but he only looked away, tears forming in his eyes.

However, I was quick to let go in shock as I heard Emma and Jacobs conversation. Emma had explained to Jacob that Grandpa Portman was back home and we shouldn't keep him waiting, her mind believing that everything was fixed because of what we had done.