Chapter 8

Bane shook me awake. “Hey important question,” I made myself crawl out of bed. “What day is it?” “It’s August 1 and the actual day of the week is Saturday,” Bane left my room. I changed into the horror uniform, well we used Vlad’s memories to get an idea. We weren’t traveling to the Northwest Territories until 9 o’clock tonight.

I thought I looked okay as a horror but we would all have to play the part. I changed into my skinny jeans and a t-shirt. I walked downstairs and ate breakfast with Bane and Calypso. We discussed music genres and our favorite bands. I was big time into Parachute, Maroon 5, Green Day,The Script, The Fray, and Gotye.  Bane was with me about Parachute, The Fray, and The Script. Calypso was a big fan of Coldplay and The Plain White T’s.

Somehow we got on the topic of movies and I am a huge horror movie fan. “So anyway Friday the 13 was an okay horror movie but it didn’t scare me like Nightmare on Elm Street (original) did,” I said washing off our breakfast plates.

Ari walked down stairs with two tickets sticking out of his front shirt pocket. “Good Morning  ladies,” Ari danced around the kitchen. “Why so happy?” I asked drying my hands. “You are coming to the movies with me today,” he said sitting on the island. I’d almost forgotten. I came to sit beside him. “So what are we seeing?” I asked reaching for the tickets in the pocket of his shirt. “It’s a surprise,” he said grabbing my hand. “Okay let me grab a sweatshirt and we can go,” I jumped off the island and walked upstairs. I searched my room and found Ari’s sweatshirt, I grabbed it and my wallet and ran back downstairs. “Bye guys I’m going places to do things with a person,” I said running out the door.

We drove for 45 minutes and  finally came to the movie theater. “Ari, can you please tell me what we are going to see?” I asked taking his hand. “It would ruin my surprise,” he said putting his arm around me. He smelled like Axe. We walked into Stephen Harper Cineplex 17. There were four different halls we could take so I just followed Ari down a few of them. I saw a bunch of different movies playing and we went to theater 14. It didn’t say anything so we walked in. Ari and I were the only people in the theater. I expected people to start drifting in but they didn’t.

I laughed out loud at how well Ari knew me. We were sitting in a theater, alone, watching Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. He smirked,”I thought you might like this.” My head was resting on his shoulder the whole time. He even did the stupid guy thing where they yawn and put their arm around you. At the end of the movie I was happy we’d seen it. “So where do you want to go for lunch?” He asked getting back into the van. We stopped at a down home cafe somewhere near downtown.  

We were coming out of the cafe deep in conversation when we both saw the two horrors across the street. There was a small chance that they hadn’t seen us so we sprinted toward Char’s unmarked white van. We jumped in the back and I tripped and landed on top of Ari. A memory of Vlad and Jypsie flashed in my mind. We laughed and slammed the doors shut.

Ari drove quickly back to the safe house. We grabbed our weapons and went to train. First was target practice. We all managed a perfect score.  We skipped hand-to-hand combat today, replacing it with Ju Jitsu. Alec and Calypso went first. Neither of them was very good with a staff. The 4 inch staff used in Ju Jitsu was heavier than the traditional Japanese okinawan because it was shorter and had been invented 5 years after the okinawan in Thailand. Waseem had taught me fighting styles from all around the world. martial arts was my strength.

Ari and I went third. The staff felt fitted to my hand. In Ari’s hands it look awkward. It was easy to beat Ari because this wasn’t his strength. Bane and Ash went after us and I have to admit Ash was good at martial arts and so when Ash asked “Does anyone have any questions?” I raised my hand. “Ash, do you feel up to a good Ju Jitsu match with me?” He looked taken aback by the question but he nodded and picked up a staff.