17 ¦ Politics and Proms

Start from the beginning

"Rationality entails looking at facts and judging them objectively." Eric chuckled and shook his head. "Why do you have to go to such extremes? Choose a modern, sensible political realist."

"Like Kissinger?"

"The task of the leader is to get his people from where they are to where they have not been," Eric said with a grin. "Not too dissimilar to your idea."

"He also said, A country that demands moral perfection in its foreign policy will achieve neither perfection nor security," I retorted. "So, my question is to what extent should we accept amorality?"

"The danger comes when rationalism or idealism espouses unethical principles."

"Right, so rationalism or realism isn't better than idealism." I held his gaze and took a sip of coffee. "Any idea is dangerous when it's warped to exert the will of those in authority."

"A universal issue we must all confront." He gave me a warm smile. "Do we follow what authority expects when they are amoral or simply wrong?"

A universal question indeed. 

Helen came sauntering towards us and gave Eric a friendly hug. "Hey, dude! Did you guys have fun at the MRC?" 

"Yes, we were just discussing the movie we were watching."

"Oh, cool. What was it?"

"A postwar German film set during World War Two."

"Eric!" Helen exclaimed, furrowing her brow in disapproval.

"What? It was her choice." 

"Oh, Jess," Helen said with a heavy sigh. "You have a lot to learn."

"We had a great discussion about the film afterward," Eric said with a slight hint of forcefulness in his tone. "And I'll watch another one with her if she wants."

A warm fuzziness spread throughout my body. He enjoyed hanging out.

"Okay, hey! If you guys had fun, far be it from me." Helen took out her Holy Cross ID card. "By the way, lunch is on me, Jess."

"Thank you, but I couldn't possibly--"

"Oh, please! Room and board includes two obligatory meals a day. At least once a week I eat at the pub or get takeout with my friends," she said with a dismissive wave. "The leftover meals go to waste otherwise."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes! Please allow me. No reason why we should both lose money."

"Oh, well. In that case, thank you, Helen."

She grinned. "They shouldn't make you pay six bucks for a stupid cafeteria meal, even if it is a buffet. It's bullshit."

Six bucks? Holy crap in a handbasket.

We entered the dining hall and stood in line to have our IDs swiped. Judging by the lack of trouble Helen had with the attendant, I expected it was standard for the host to pay for guest meals, which put me more at ease. We grabbed our navy-blue plastic trays. 

I stared wide-eyed at the open expanse of the dining hall. Not a single supportive pillar in sight. Just hundreds of students packed in row after row of oak tables and chairs. Crystal chandeliers hung from the ceiling.