Their First Date

Since Draco had absurdly proposed to Hermione and had never been on one date, he figured that it was time to ask her on one. It seemed absurd doing all of this backward, but at least they were getting along. Some days were better than others, and today was a good day.

"Hello, Draco." Hermione came into their apartment with a grin on her face. She had been owling his mother almost daily trying to get the plans altogether, and just as she had stated, they were getting mail by the pound from people who wanted to do something for the wedding. 

"Hello, Hermione." He smiled at her—something he had been doing more and more of since they had been paired. Not as much smirking, but he was silently alright with that. 

"This weekend, your mother wanted to know if we could all get together and hash out some more plans. She even said she would bring a few people for us to meet. She recommends them; I am not really sure. Shall I tell her to expect us?"

"At the Manor? Are we even allowed to go anywhere besides Hogsmeade?"

"I've already spoken to McGonagall; she says as long as we are back by curfew."

"Well, then I suppose we will be there. I was thinking though; tomorrow I would like to take you on a proper date if you would allow me the pleasure."

Hermione stared at him for a second and then smiled. She liked the idea. 

"I would like that."

"It will be our first real date," Draco concluded, clapping his hands and putting them behind his back. He rocked slightly back and forth, and Hermione laughed. 

"No, it is not Draco. What about when we went to Hogsmeade together. And our muggle weekend. I think all of those count as dates."

"Well, I respectfully asked you on this one, and if it were up to mother, we would have a chauffeur." 

"Don't be ridiculous. We live together." Hermione laughed, finding the whole thing ridiculous. They were adults, and they both knew how to act like one. 

"Well, she is still getting her way since I sleep on the couch." 

"I suppose your right, but that is my wish as well." Hermione smiled and then turned around, "You know, we could take turns on the couch." 

"Nonsense. I have faced the wrath of my mother enough times in my life. I can do without another."

"Would she even find out?"

"Somehow, she would. And that would not be to her liking. She keeps telling me she raised a gentleman after all." 

"Draco, what was your childhood like? Before everything went crazy." Hermione sat down on the couch next to him, and he closed the gap. 

"I am sure entirely different from yours. I had tutors from every subject you could imagine. I had to take etiquette classes and learn to dance. Play the piano with mother, and even learn about the business from father. We ate dinner in silence most of the time, and the only fun I ever had was with the other pureblood families' children. We were allowed to play together and only with one another." Draco looked at Hermione, who had sad eyes. She couldn't dream of raising her children like that. She had such a wonderful childhood. Even if all the other children called her names and didn't play with her, her parents were wonderful people, and she was so grateful for that. 

"Different was a very good word." She smiled and leaned into him some. 

"Want to tell me about it?"

"Well, none of the other children really ever wanted to play with me. They called me names a lot of the time, but it never really bothered me. I am sure you are not surprised to hear that I loved books before I came to Hogwarts. I spent most of the time with my parents or with my nose in a book. We loved family dinners, and I have some of my happiest memories there."