Awaken

Hermione was falling asleep when she heard someone knock on the door. She pulled the blanket off herself and set her cup of tea down. She must not have been moving very quickly because the person knocked again, even harder this time. She moved to the door quicker and looked through the peephole. She groaned to herself. It was Ron. She really didn't want to deal with him right now, but she put on a small smile and opened the door. She was careful though, by the way, he knocked she knew he might be angry, and she only opened the door partway. She stood behind it, too, and just looked around the corner at him.

"Is there something you needed, Ron?" She asked him politely. He didn't answer her but instead pushed the door open, leaving Hermione against the wall with the door handle in her side. She winced in pain and pushed the door back closed. 

"What the hell were you thinking?" Ron was not yelling yet, but Hermione kept her distance. She didn't want to get into a screaming match right now. She wanted to go to the hospital wing for her stomach. 

"What do you mean, Ron?" 

"You were smiling at the ferret like he isn't some Death Eater piece of scum, and you left early. To do what?" Ron was getting closer, and Hermione reached down. She left her wand on the table near the couch. 

"We left early, Ron, because Malfoy was having flashbacks, and I didn't want anything to happen. That is all. He is sleeping in the bed. Alone." She added for good measure. 

"Really, I am supposed to believe that?"

"Why do you care anyway. You have your own partner. We weren't even together when they made this law." She didn't know what would make him calm down, and she was starting to worry by the look in his eye.

"How could you be okay with this 'Mione, he hurt you." The way he said it made her skin crawl. He never actually hurt her physically, mentally, yes, but he never touched her. 

"Ron, I have chosen forgiveness." She said as bravely as she could.

"How is that working out for you?" Again the tone of his voice made her anxious about what was going to happen. Ron was never this bad, and she didn't know what to do in this situation.

"Ron, are you okay?" 

"I am fine; my girlfriend broke up with me. The ministry made a new dumb law that will make me get married and be a father with a girl that doesn't even like me. I am doing fantastic." 

"Ron, everyone is going through the same thing; if we all just talk about it together, it might get better. " She was trying to inch her way over to the door. She knew that she would be able to get it open and get out before he could get her. She knew she could shut it before he could get to her. She just needed to get into someone else's apartment and didn't know how she would do that. Also, what about Malfoy. 

"Where do you think you are going?" Ron hissed at her. 

"Ron, what do you want. I need Madam Pomfrey."

"I want you to come back to me. They will change the rules for us. Malfoy doesn't matter anyway."

"Ron, I do not want to be with you. Please." Hermione didn't know what she should say, but she knew that was the wrong thing to do as soon as she said it. 

"So you are telling me that you would rather be with that murderous snake than me?"

"Ron. Please." He was close now, close enough to hurt her. "This isn't you." 

"It is Hermione. It is." He kept getting closer and closer.

"If you get any closer to her, Ron, I am not responsible for what I might do." Draco's voice was deep and commanding. Hermione looked up instantly, and for a second, felt okay. But then she saw the way he was pointing his wand toward Ron, and she knew something terrible might happen.