ch. XX -- Flatline.

"You need to change." Maze said to Lucifer while walking in Kate's ward.

Lucifer didn't even bother to look at demon.

"Like seriously, go home. I'll keep on watch." Maze said standing at the end of the bed. Lucifer still didn't answer.

"Do I have to make you go home like that night when you came here all bloody after dealing with that prick called Mathew?" Maze recalled that first evening when doctors had called Lucifer and told that Kate won't be waking up any time soon. The same evening Lucifer had decided that someone would pay for it and Mathew was on top of that list.

"Jophiel said the she will go to Heaven." Lucifer said absentmindedly while turning His head to look at Maze.

"Did she?" Maze asked softer but she kind of already knew this, because Lucifer could never shut up about how pure Kate seemed to be. Maze had kind of grown soft for Kate even if she still wanted to skin the girl from time to time.

"As I was about to rip off one of her wings she scrambled away but stopped to tell that Katherine was going to Heaven." Lucifer explained looking back at Kate. Maze wanted to say that she might have been wrong but the next thing that fell from Lucifer's lips made her stop and freeze:

"Sister said that she doesn't have much."

"When? What?" Maze was speechless for the first time.

"I don't know when, Mazikeen." Lucifer answered in annoyed tone.

"She's lying." Maze said walking around the bed across form Lucifer.

"You think I wouldn't know if she was lying to me?" Lucifer narrowed His eyes at Maze. Demon didn't answer, she could feel that He was irritated as fuck, so she didn't push. Maze looked at sleeping girl, if only Kate would be sleeping and not in coma. She-demon couldn't make Him leave girls side, perfectly knowing why He didn't want to leave.

*time skip brought to you by my slow internet connection*

As the day turned into night and said night turned into light that was barely making its way through curtains. Lucifer was sitting besides Kate's bed. His hand gently holding Kate's right hand. Everything seemed quiet except for heart monitor that beeped in steady rhythm.

He just sat there, His eyes trained on non-existent spot at the edge of hospital bed. Time to time darting to Kate, hoping she'll open her eyes

He was staring at bed once again when He felt someone else was in the ward besides Himself and Kate. He slowly turned to look at the end of the bed. Upon seeing the creature standing there, Lucifer lost all colour in His face, freezing in spot as horror took over even the Devil Himself.

There at the end of Kate's bed stood angel. Dressed all in white with small wings neatly folded behind his back, fair and holy as one of his kind could be. Angel's light, almost milky, eyes slowly turned to the heart monitor. He wasn't frightened by Lucifer, angel had no bidding of His to do, he didn't answer the Fallen One. Angel knew perfectly well that Lucifer was the only one who could see him in whole hospital. With grace and light, soundless steps angel gravitated towards heart monitor. Lucifer's eyes glued to angel:

"What are you doing?" Lucifer found His voice again.

Angel didn't even flinch at His voice. Devine being just stood closer to Kate and with gentle hands reached for life support and soundlessly tuned it off.