“Let’s not panic.” Chase said calmly. “This hole is barely noticeable.” Chase must had jinxed it because Adam sneezed again, adding another hole in the painting.

“That however, is incredibly noticeable!” Chase exclaimed.

“Adam, if you’re going to destroy paintings…do it to those!” Leo shouted, gesturing to the horrific Daven-portraits.

I bit my lip. “Can’t we just pin this on Eddy?”

Xxx

We were all still in the art vault, but we were all panicking. Well, you could say Chase was the worst of us. It looked like he was about to explode.

“Adam, I cannot believe you just destroyed Mr. Davenport’s million dollar painting!” He exclaimed.

“Mr. Davenport’s gonna kill us when he sees what happened!” Bree added, her voice just as panicky.

“Okay, maybe he won’t notice if we fill the room with things much more hideous.” Adam said.

“More hideous?” Leo asked.

“Have you see the Daven-Lisa?” Bree asked, pointing to the horrid painting.

“I can almost guarantee that I’m getting nightmares tonight because of these paintings.” I said, causing all my friends to nod in agreement.

Suddenly, the elevator dinged, signaling that it was about to open. We all rushed over to the painting and covered it with the white sheet. We all tried to act normal, but it didn’t really work. My heart was beating so fast that I thought it was going to pop out of my chest.

“Hey, Big D, what are you doing back?” Leo questioned.

“Uh, I forgot something.” Davenport replied. “I forgot that I left my million dollar painting in the hands of the four most destructive teenagers in the world. Please tell me it’s okay.”

“Wait, there’s five of us.” Leo pointed out.

“I know.” My adoptive father said. “I’ve seen Alex mad, and I don’t want to again.”

I couldn’t help but chuckle. “Good call.”

“I thought so.” He nodded. “So, is my painting okay?”

“It’s fine.” Chase said.

“Looks great.” Bree added.

“It’s fine-great.” Adam stuttered.

Davenport walked over to the painting and just as he was about to remove the sheet, Leo stepped in front of him. “Hey, wait. We’ve already seen this one and it’s boring. I would like to know more about this beautiful…what are we looking at?” As Leo was talking, he walked over to another painting, bringing Davenport with him.

Davenport grinned. “Yeah, I remember posing for that one. You know it took us hours to get the fruit positioned just right.” I walked a bit closer to get a better look at the painting. Davenport was right. His face was on fruit. Creepy and disturbing.

“Well, you just killed apples for me.” Leo told him.

“I was gonna be the big banana, but I thought that was a little too much.” Davenport walked back over to the ruined painting.

Adam and Chase moved in front of Davenport, blocking his path. “Don’t do that.” Chase said.

“Why not?” Davenport asked with a raised eyebrow.

“Because, uh, because I have an idea.” Chase spluttered, draping an arm over Davenport’s shoulders. He guided him away from the painting and I visibly relaxed. “You should pose for a Daven-Sculpture.”