The Answer

"BECAUSE IT'S HUMILIATING!"

The two young adults stood completely still. They seemed like statues in a twisted dollhouse.

"You can't understand." Ken whispered, he stormed to the front door and slammed it behind him.

The crisp autumn air seemed to freeze against his skin. His knees buckled underneath him. When he hit the ground, a shiver went up through his spine. His palms rested on the cement between his legs.

The moisture from his eyes dripped off his chin and began pooling at his hands.

Ken didn't hear the door open, but he felt the cool, gentle touch of his wife. He said nothing, just heaved out more sobs.

 "This feels like the same story on repeat." Ken whispered. "Like I can't actually get "Better" I'm just wasting everyone's time doing the same toxic things." 

"That's what recovery feels like."  Touka voice matched his softness.

"I hate how much I want to argue with you," He laughed. "I know I'm wrong but I want to scream and yell and just be mad."

"Then do it."

"I can't."

"Why not?"

"I've spend years being separated from you. I'm afraid if I do I might never see you again."

Touka pressed his head into her chest and caressed the nape of his neck and down his back.

"I feel so pathetic." Ken laughed. "I keep complaining about the same things."

Touka laughed. "I complain way more then you do. I complain how nauseous I am at least 40 times a day."

"That's diff-"

"Don't you dare say 'that's different because something good is coming out of it'. I don't think you give yourself credit for saving Japan!"

"I guess you're right... you're always right." He sighed. "Why can't we fight like a normal couple?" 

"Where's the fun in normal?"

It began to snow. 

"Snow in October?" Ken asked asked.

"It turns November tomorrow."

"That mean's less then a month now." Ken placed his hands gently on her stomach. Their daughter moved wildly, kicking and punching Touka.

"She's trying to hug you." She laughed.

He stared at her. The snow was making a crown around her head, the moonlight reflected inside her eyes. She was perfect.

She stared at him. The snow blending into his white hair, his eyes reflecting the moonlight. He was perfect.

They embraced each other and melted inside their touch.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I like this image.