Dance until you drop

Max POV

I exit my tent with a huff and make my way towards the mess hall. As I walk in I see the quartermaster making his specialty 'mashed potatoes'. I grab a scoop of the potatoes and make my way down to my table. I eat a single bite and nap almost immediately after.

(Y/n) POV

After I leave Max's tent, I make my way back to my own tent. I begin to get ready after I enter through the flaps of my tent. The sound of small humming and footsteps alert me of Nikki's presence behind me. I turn around and offer a small smile of my own as she grins up at me.

"Whatcha doing, (Y/n)?", Nikki asks curiously. I shrug nonchalantly.

"Getting ready for the day? What else?", I respond dumbfoundedly. Nikki suddenly gives me a skeptical gaze.

"By the way, why were you in Max's tent this morning?", she questions suspiciously. I blink and feel my cheeks heat up a little.

"Um, I...I slept with him last night?", I respond flustered and unsure. Nikki's suspiciousness transforms into an interested curiosity shortly after.

"What!? You slept with him? What happened?"

I scratch the side of my cheek shy and embarrassed. 

"Uh, well. Honestly, it's quite embarrassing to reveal", I chuckle nervously. Nikki rolls her eyes but doesn't further linger on the topic.

"I'm amazed how Max has warmed up to you that fast", Nikki comments, eyeing me down to up as if analyzing each and every detail of me. I begin to sweat beads anxiously and try to ignore her gaze.

"I'm not exactly sure myself? Maybe because I dislike this camp and it's scam issues as well?"

Nikki's examining gaze finally halts as the girl's eyes seem to light up in recognition.

"That makes perfect sense! No wonder too, he totally hates David and this camp", she noted.

"Ah, I see. Well anyways, I'm going to head out to mess hall. See you later?", I question Nikki. The girl beams back at me.

"See you later!"

Upon entering the mess hall, my eyes wander over to the familiar bob of hair sitting at the same table as yesterday. I feel myself giggle and make my way towards Max currently sleeping in his mashed potatoes

"Hey. Sleepyhead, wake up", I gently shrug Max wake, mindful to keep my voice down as to not attract any attention. The boy finally sturs.

"Uh, what's going on?", Max grumbles, lifting up his head out of the potatoes, I snicker a little to myself and gesture to my cheek.

"You fell asleep in your potatoes. You have a bit on your face"

"Oh fuck," Max is quick to wipe off the mush with the front of his hoodie, face slightly red from embarrassment as I continue to snicker.

After a little while, all the campers were finally in the mess hall eating 'breakfast'. With that in play, nobody was surprised to see David burst in per usual with Gwen trailing him from behind, a slightly more grumpy expression present.

"Alright! We got a whole busy day today!", the instructor beams, "After breakfast, we're going to have (Y/n) teach us some wonderful dance moves! Then, we'll head down to the lake. And for tonight, we'll be stargazing!"

I feel my nerves prink up in aggravation. I was not warned that I would be teaching others how to dance, I came to learn not teach! But my nervousness toppled my frustration as kids alike started to crowd around me, each one asking different questions regarding songs and dance moves. A little annoyance bubbled up in the pits of my stomach when questions started to stack.

"Shut up!" I finally yell, thankfully quieting enough campers for me to hear my own voice. "Get your gym clothes on and meet me out in the same field as yesterday", I command, a few heads nod and some leave to do as said. "If you even have any", I mumble under my breath irritated.

By the time all the campers were outside, I had my playlist set and ready on my phone. All my songs were sorted, but the first that would be played was one of my classics, 'Don't Wanna Know' by Maroon 5! It was an easy song to dance to, but remained it's complicatedness enough for me to actually enjoy myself.  Soon after I found a good dance routine and left the mess hall to join the outside campers.

Everybody was ready, but as my eyes skimmed my crowd, Max was nowhere to be seen. "Must've been dragged by David, oh well", I shrug to myself.

"Alright guys, I've got 'Don't Wanna Know' by Maroon 5 set up. I'll demonstrate the dance for you"

Max POV

After changing as (Y/n) had ordered, I open up the flap to my tent and proceed to make my way towards the field. Immediately, my vision is blocked by the familiar silhouette of David. I roll my eyes.

"Fine", I snap lowly, following David back to his cabin. As we enter, the instructor takes a seat in one of his comfy chairs and leans back. His eyes do not once trail off of me.

"What exactly happened?", he asked strictly but gently, I knew not to test his patience this time. I was staring into the eyes of an adult, not David. I spill and explain what I can, but the final sentence becomes the hardest to leave my throat.

"...and I think I might love her" I whisper lowly, feeling the edges of my eyes begin the tear up. I'm quick to try and wipe them away. David across from me gives me a sympathetic look

"If that was the case, then I think it was okay", David assures. "Are you doing alright now, Max?", the instructor asks.

"Yeah. I'm fine now" I respond clearing the edges of my eyes. David reaches in to hug me despite my protests.

"Let go"

"Just a little longer?"

"Let go."

"Okay sorry"

"Thanks", I unwrinkle my hoodie, sending a silent glare to the ground. David smiles down at me and pats my back

"I hope you two can work something out"

"Thanks," I quickly hug him back, "Don't tell anyone."

"I won't" he quickly reassures, before leading us both back to the camp field, where (Y/n) was currently teaching the other campers some dancing technique.

"No guys you are doing it wrong!", I barely hold off a small snicker watching the girl struggle with the other campers, "Ugh! Do I have to start from the beginning!?"