First day friends

(Y/n) POV

With the jerk of his arm, Max had set you both on a path towards the mess hall. You felt a small silence encase you both but to your relief, it was quickly shattered.

"So what brings you here (y/n)" Max asks curiously. I scratch the back of my head.

"Well... my mom and I were looking for a camp that spiked my interest. We were able to narrow it down to two things; dance camp or martial arts classes. But after some time I decided to check out dance camp", I explain, shrugging a little as if I were still unsure myself.

"Oh. So you dance then?"

"I guess you co-"

"Wait, wait. Don't tell me. You do ballet!", Max teases playfully as a small snicker escapes his lips. I send a quick glare his way.

"No, I don't," I assure firmly, "I do hip-hop and modern dance. Why do you think I do ballet?", I ask slightly aggravated yet confused. Max's snickering halts abruptly.

"Um, in professional terms, you look like you have some proper stance when you walk, or just standing in general. But when you turned around to look at me the first time, you span and I guess it reminded me of a ballerina", Max shrugs.

"Well, you're not completely wrong", I voice. Max's give me a side glance, "I was actually a ballerina back in my younger days. But it was mostly as a hobby" you add, holding a finger to your lips as you try and recall some of the action your younger-self experienced back then.

"Welp, we're here, you're welcome for busting you out of fitness class already" Max jokes, opening up a door to reveal the inside of what seemed to be the camp's cafeteria. I watched slightly perplexed as kids run by. One camper with an odd wizard hat was currently yelling at a boy with a top hat. You raised a brow when you noticed another kid with a strange resemblance to a German dictator.

"Oh fucking hell," Max mutters under his breath. He looked aggravated right off the bat. I recognized the annoyance in his sharp lime-green eyes as Max walked off to the back of the hall, sitting next to a boy that looked at his food suspiciously. He accompanied brown curly hair and wore a bright yellow turtleneck. My eyes wandered to the girl sitting across from them. She interestingly had bright sea-foam green hair and wore a set of red overalls over a yellow shirt. I hesitantly decided to introduce myself to the table.

"Uh hi," I greet shyly, "I'm a bit new here. My name is (Y/n)", I introduce falteringly. The table's companions all perk up.

"Hi my name is Nikki and this is Neil!" Nikki joyfully introduces, spotlighting the taller boy next to her.

Neil retreats slightly but manages a quick wave.

"uh, hi?"

Nikki beams at me curiously, propping her chin on her hands whilst kicking her legs in excitement.

"So what brings you here (y/n)?" Nikki asks eagerly. I feel myself flush at the amount of attention and awkwardly scratch the side of my cheek, looking away in discomfort.

"Uh, dance camp," I mutter just barely.

Immediately Neil begins to snicker.

"Hate to bring the news to you, but you're in a dysfunctional summer camp ran by a shady business mogul who is looking for any way to make a profit", he explains.

"What?" I breathe stunned, "In the paper, it said they were looking for a good dancer to join the camp. Did I read wrong!?", you ask fearfully, a sudden boiling cauldron of outrage bubbles in your stomach silently.

All of them continue to laugh for a couple minutes.

"Oh, (y/n), do I have to repeat? A fucking dysfunctional summer camp run by a shady fucking cock-sucker business mogul" Max recites creatively, patting my shoulder sympathetically. I drag a hand through my hair when the cauldron of rage is kicked over, exhaling a deep and angry sigh out of my lips. Resisting the urge to slam my head through the very furniture before me.

"This is fucking bullshit"

"Hello, campers!" David exclaims, bursting through the door with an excited grin etched on his lips. A bored and unamused lady trails in behind him soon after. Her eyes were a nice light purple while her brown hair verged on being a nice crimson red. She was no taller than David, but her posture already told you she was more mature than half the people at this camp.

"Who is that?", I side whisper to Nikki. The strange girl follows my trail of sight, landing on the woman walking in from behind David.

"Oh, that's Gwen"

David's traveling eyes finally land on me, I feel my bones freeze in alarm when his grin widens even more.

"We have someone new to this camp!" David announces to the entire room, pointing directly at me. I get up from the table and hold the side of my arm nervously.

"Uh, hello. I'm..(Y/n)?", my voice squeaks timidly.

"Well, (Y/n), in your papers it says that you signed up for dance camp, right?"

"Yea, I did. But...um...I might be against joining the camp now? I've heard some things already and I'm not exactly pleased, to say the least?", I mumble just loud enough for the room to hear. Some of the kids perk up, and you can relatively see a few others agreeing.

"Well, (Y/n) this camp is awesome and we learn new things from other campers every day! There is nothing for you to be displeased about!", David assures optimistically. You vaguely wondered if this was perhaps a huge lie the guide kept telling himself.

"Oh really, David?", Max blurts out-loud, "We literally learn the same thing every day, just a little bit differently". You vaguely see Gwen narrow her eyes onto Max.

"I think we had enough yelling today," Gwen interrupts. "Let's get to our activity for today campers" she finishes, ushering everybody out the door, you included.