31. Patient "X"

31. Patient "X"

_______________

"Can you walk okay?"

"I'm fine, Ma. As much as I can be."

She frowned. "I'm just making sure you're not seriously hurt."

"More than being stabbed?" I asked.

"Don't be like that, Ricky," Dad said.

"Whatever."

We exited the elevator once it hit the first floor of the hospital. Downing was waiting outside. I was to head to the department immediately.

I was extremely lucky not taking any serious damage to my body last night. The wound was sanitized to not get infected and I was bandaged. That was that basically. But now I had to make a decision in regards to Kevin's case, and that was a completely different kind of wound.

Once outside, my parents began escorting me to the vehicle Downing was in. They were gonna follow us to the department and be there to follow me home when everything was finished. I knew that my car had been moved from the church to the department. I didn't know if that was actually okay for the police to do. I figured it would be towed or something. But I'd given my key to Downing and he sent someone to move it there. Sheriff Pihlstrom had pulled those strings as a favor to me I suppose.

We were just outside of Downing's car now, and my parents gave me a hug.

"Whatever this is," Dad said. "Just tell them what you know."

"We just want you to be safe, baby," Mom said.

"Okay," I muttered.

They released me, but Mom wasn't quite done with me.

"Mauricio, can you go get the car started? I want to say a little something to Ricky," she said.

He looked curious, but didn't object. He nodded and went off to their car in the parking lot.

"What's up?" I asked.

"You're not going to school today, are you?" She asked.

"No, I don't think so."

She nodded."Okay. Then we have time to talk after they're done interviewing you."

"Talk about what?"

"Raymond brought something to my attention," she said. "You know more about things than I ever intended on you knowing."

"Is that so?"

"I think it's time we be honest with each other," she continued. "When we get home, we'll talk. But I will not be alone in this. You have to tell me what's been going on with you. Including this new murder mystery you're involved in."

"You assume I know something about Danielle's murder?"

"We will not have this conversation here," she said. "Let's get to the department."

I shut my mouth and made my way into Downing's vehicle.

___

"So you were down and out while Sayora was being chased then?" Pihlstrom asked.

"Yes," I replied.

"And then a little bit later you heard footsteps leaving the church to the downstairs exit?"

"Correct."

"And that's when you made the effort to get off the floor, head upstairs and finally find the scene where Jory's seemingly dead body was?"