In a daze Louise phoned Grace, “Grace, can you please call Mike and let him know that I am okay, I am out of hospital. Miranda has offered me dinner tonight and I’ve decided to stay with her for a girl’s night. Not to worry, I am okay.”

Ray turned to Louise, “Thank you, you will not regret it.”

“Ray, how are we going to hide this from the other staff?”

“Let me leave first, come down and drive left then go to the lights, just after the lights, pull over. Then follow me to my house.”

Louise had no idea what she was doing. She had never really liked Ray because he frightened her. She was only just discovering his compassionate side. Louise hadn’t forgotten about Mike, he had done no wrong. All those years they had been together. Could she really push all that away?

Louise shut out her thoughts and turned up the radio. She soon arrived at Ray’s house, noting the place was well-kept. Ray gave Louise a tour. A lake idled in his back yard. He had a little dingy floating next to a pontoon. The house was an old Queenslander home with a Mediterranean feel, wooden polished floors, high ceilings, deep colours throughout which suited it tremendously.

Ray asked his personal chef to pour cool drinks and serve them outside. Louise was facing the lake in awe of its glistening beauty. Then she felt arms wrap around her waist. Ray whispered in her ear, “I thought my view was beautiful, but you are radiating.” They stood in the embrace silent for a few moments. They were both comfortable in each other’s presence. Louise felt she was in a trance. He motioned her to the outdoor table and they sat sipping the cool drinks, watching nature in all its glory.

“Louise,” Ray sweetly said her name. “I know this must be a shock, but for me I have wanted you for so long. To be with you, touch you, kiss you. I just pray that you feel the same way about me.”

Louise stood up, walked over to Ray and planted a kiss, “Ray you are everything I am seeking.”

#

When Mike called the hospital to see how Louise was going, he was surprised to hear she had already been released. He became overwhelmed with worry. Where was she? He checked his voicemail messages to see if she had left a message. One new message from Louise’s assistant that said Louise was healthy and staying at Miranda’s house for the night. So many questions played in his head. Why would her assistant call? Did Louise go straight to work from the hospital? Did she still love him? The last question played on his mind the most.

The thoughts over powered him, he needed to get his mind somewhere else. He watched TV to numb his mind. It worked. He awoke the next day with drool dried on his chin and a sore back. He had fallen asleep on the couch.

Louise would have called if she was not feeling well. He knew deep down that Louise loved him. Mike spent the morning cleaning, in the hope of Louise feeling welcomed when she returned.

Midday arrived and Louise had still not called. He looked through Louise’s phone book and found Miranda’s number. The call diverted to Miranda’s voicemail. “Hi Louise, its Mike here, how are you feeling? Are you coming home soon? I love you.” He ended the call, embarrassed to be sounding desperate, but deep down he was.

#

A friendly knock was heard on Miranda’s door. “Coming,” Miranda yelled. Miranda opened the door to find Grant displaying a large bunch of mixed flowers and a bottle of her favourite sparkling white wine.

“I hope you don’t mind, but I thought I would make a surprise visit to congratulate you on a job well done.” Miranda motioned him in and found a vase to place the sweet smelling flowers in.