Lying

"So?" Natalie asks. We're currently having dinner and Theodore is with us and so is his older brother Josh, who is very sweet. They are nothing alike.

"So what?" I ask her as I move the food around on my plate.

She looks at my like I'm stupid, "so, how was your first day? Did you make friends?" I think of that blonde-haired girl and about to say no when the really kind English teacher comes to mind.

I smile at her and nod my head, "Yeah. A few."

"That's good," she says. "You didn't seem too excited when you got home?"

I swallow the bit of food I have in my mouth and look at her before answering, "I'm just tired, I guess."

She nods her head, "I get it."

No, you don't. I wish I could tell you but I can't. I'm sorry for lying. I hate lying to Natalie.

During the rest of the dinner, I stay quiet and keeping poking and prodding at my food while everyone is laughing and talking about how great their day was. I wish I could join in but I just don't have the heart in me to do so.

I sigh and randomly glance up, only to do a double take when I find Theodore staring at me. I put a fake smile on and look at him, hoping he believes it. He doesn't smile back. His stare just intensifies.

Deciding I can't take any more of his intimating stare, I ask, "Can I be excused? I have some homework to do."

Joe looks at me and then my plate, "you've barely touched your mashed potatoes and steak. Don't you like it?"

I shake my head immediately, "no, it's not that. I like it but I'm just full from lunch." Which is a complete lie because I didn't eat lunch but he doesn't need to know that.

He nods his head after I say that and I let out a subtle sigh of relief as I get up and leave. As I'm going up the stairs I hear Natalie's faint voice, "she doesn't look too happy."

To which another surprising voice adds, "it's probably been a long day. Moving schools is not easy. She'll come around." It's Theodore.

Why is he defending me?
Deciding not to ponder too much at the though I walk quickly towards my room, only to stop in front of Casper's when I hear his voice from inside.

I turn the non gently and open the door, to find him looking at the ceiling, "can you make tomorrow a good day? I really want tomorrow to be a good day for her."

I raise my brows. Her?

He continues talking which makes me wonder who he's actually talking about. My question is soon answered when he speaks next,

"I want Aunt Lilo to be happy. God, she didn't look happy when she got home today and i saw her eyes shine with water. please help her." he prays as he closes his eyes.

I smile at him even though he can't see. He's so precious.

•••

The next morning, the alarm went off on my phone and i quickly jammed my finger on the screen to stop the maddening noise.

As I'm getting dressed, I can't help but wonder how if that blonde girl will torture me today. i hope not. A single and childish part of me is hoping that yesterday was just a prank and that today, I'll be treated normally.

But then the rational and sensible part of me believes that today will be no different than yesterday, if not worse.

I make my way downstairs and find Joe reading the newspaper while he sips on his coffee, Casper enjoying his fruit loops and Natalie flipping pancakes. I smile at the sight in front of me. I couldn't be more happier for Natalie. She deserves all the happiness in the world. I envy it sometimes, as ashamed as I feel to admit that.

"Good morning," I announce as I walk in and notice everyone turn their attention to smile at me and greet me back, "I think I'll walk to school today." I tell Joe and he raises his brows at me.

"You sure?" He asks me with concern lighting up in his dark blue eyes, "I can still drop you off." He insists but I smile politely at him and shake my head, explaining quietly that I'll be fine. The reason I've decided to walk is because I think it'll help me a little in losing weight. Last night laying bed, I kept wondering if the reason I'm always a magnet for bullies is because of my weight. That's what everyone calls me, isn't it? Fat, chubby.

"Okay," Natalie exclaims as she piles pancakes onto a plate and puts it on the table, and looks at me, "tea or coffee?" she asks with her hands on her hips.

"Um. I'll be skipping breakfast today," I admit and i see her and Joe frown and look at me strangely.  "Why?" Natalie asks frantically, walking over to me and placing her hand on my forehead, "your temperature seems fine. Does your stomach ache?" I want to say it out loud desperately but manage to hold it in:

I'm starving! Can I have just one?

I snap out of my thoughts and find her staring at me with concern and at that moment, I realize how good of a mother she is. Not just that but a good sister and a good wife. She's so caring and so warm. How can anyone meet her and not love her?

I gently grab her hand and remove it from my forehead gently, "I'm fine. No fever, no tummy ache. Just feeling a bit queasy but I'm sure the fresh air will make it go away." I feel really guilty lying to her but it's for the best. I've been enough burden for her. Telling her that the bullying has started again will just drive her insane.

"Okay," she sighs deeply but still looks at me as if she's not convinced.  "oh hey! Mom and Dad called," that immediately has my attention and I raise a brow at her in silent question. She sighs out, "they asked how Casper was and how Joe is doing."  I look at her, not saying a word. When i had finished talking to Natalie that day i threw up, i told Mom and Dad that I'm moving and they were completely against it; saying how I'm being a gold-digger and trying to "ruining your sister's wedding because I'm jealous that  I can't ever be like her." Their words, not mine.

When i told them that I'm still going, they told me they couldn't care less what I did anymore.

No surprise they didn't ask about me.

I smile at Natalie and she looks at me in concern, "I'm sorry, Will."

I shrug my shoulders in response and pretend to look at the time, even though I can't see a thing with the tears blurring my vision, "Hey, I should probably get going. I'll see you guys later. Bye."

I hear their goodbyes as I walk towards the door. When I start walking on the sidewalk, I finally let the tears fall free.
It's sad to think that your parents don't give a damn about you.

As I reach the school gates, I can't help but wish for today to turn out to be a splendid day.

As much as I wanted it to, that wish didn't come true.

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Hee hee.
I'm evil.
I just left you on a cliffhanger.
Guess you'll have to wait for next Wednesday to find out...

Thanks for reading,
Teddy 🐾