Awkward

I look out the plane window as we land. It's a bit chilly here in Ireland. Thank God I brought a few jackets.

•••

Natalie had come to pick me up from the airport. The moment I saw her I just ran up to her and hugged her. We stood there hugging for what felt like hours.

When we broke apart, she looked at my face and her smile dropped. She grabbed my face with both of her hands and looked at me in concern. "You've lost weight. Are you eating at all?"

I shake my head and she frowns at me. Then after a minute she smiles, "guess I'll have to get you back to your adorable self by my awesome cooking."

"I've been thinking, maybe losing weight won't be so bad after all." I say as she leads us towards her car.

As we get to the car, she looks at me like I've gone absolutely crazy. "Are you mad? You don't need to lose weight. You were already so fit and just the right amount of adorable-ness."

I shake my head at her and get in the passenger seat as she gets in as well and we drive off.

"So, Joe's at work?" I ask.

"Yeah," she answers as she takes a right turn.

I frown at her, "is Casper alone at home?"

"Oh no," she laughs. "He's actually being babysat by Joe's friend's brother."

"And Joe's friend's brother knows about kids?"

"Yeah. Relax, Casper loves him. Almost as much as he loves you, I'd say."

I scoff at that. "That's impossible."

She laughs and shakes her head and after that we're left with silence in the car.

"Go ahead. Ring the bell. He's been so excited to meet you. He even wore his fancy clothes. I have to go pick up some groceries." Natalie says and drives off.

I walk up the steps to the porch and as I'm about to ring the bell, the door flies open and stands before me my most handsome nephew dressed in a tuxedo, "Hello!"

I raise my eyebrows at him and crouch down, at his level, smiling wide, "Hi Casp."

He immediately hugs me and I hug him back. "Were you waiting for me near the door?" I ask him wondering if he was actually waiting or if "Joe's friend's brother" was a complete sleazeball when it came to babysitting and let the child do whatever he wants.

Casper smiles at me, "nope! Theo told me to open the door!"

After a few seconds I hear footsteps rushing towards the door and come to a halt.
I look away from Casper and see a surprisingly very good-looking guy standing there looking at us, leaning on the staircase with one arm on the banister. I stand up and walk inside and close the door.

"I wanna show you my new train set Mommy and Daddy got me. I'll go set it up but don't come in my room until I tell you to! "Casper says and runs off without waiting for my reply.

As he runs away, I turn to face this guy and cross my arms. "He answered the door all by himself." I say to him and he raises his eyebrows.

"How could you let him do that? What if it wasn't me at the door and someone else?" I ask him as I glare at him.

He clears his throat, "Well, for your information, I saw Natalie's car pull over the driveway so I knew it was either her or someone she trusts completely." He speaks and I'm shocked to know that he has a British accent instead of an Irish one. When he finishes speaking he crosses his arms as well and stares at me.

I blink at him, "still doesn't make it okay for you to let a child answer the door. All by himself." I walk past him to go to the kitchen to get some water when he gently grabs my arm. I flinch a little and he lets go immediately. My body still aches and I try my best to not let it show but I couldn't help it.

I look at him and walk away without saying anything as he looks at me in concern.

As I walk in the kitchen I hear footsteps behind me which indicate that he's right behind me. As I'm pouring water in a glass, he leans over the counter and looks at me apologetically, "Hey, I'm sorry if I hurt you when I um. Grabbed your arm."

I gulp the water down and I shake my head at him, "you didn't hurt me."

He nods his head and I nod mine.

Awkward.

"AUNT LILO COME IN MY ROOM!!" I hear Casper call out and I look at the guy and walk out the kitchen to Casper's room. He's called me "Lilo" since he could talk. He couldn't pronounce all of it back then. But he still calls me this and truth be told, I don't mind. I find it cute.