The marking

The water from the fountain on the square was warmer now that it usually was, the sun had shone strongly during the past few days and warmed up both the stone surround and the liquid.
It also made iridescent patterns appear nearby that invited the cat to chase them and try as it might to catch them.
After the sun, the humans would disappear, too, and the few remaining would not bother the cat going about marking the square.

From atop the statue the cat surveils the now dark and by humans deserted square for some time before jumping down and approaching the tree where the nest full of hatchlings is now asleep. The bark needs to be scratched and at the highest possible point.
Conveniently, there is a contraption next to it that isn't usually there, smelling like a variety of humans.
The cat lowers itself to the ground, eyes locked on the flat expanse of the contraption. The strong hind legs easily provide enough strength and the tail keeps the cat in balance. Once upon the  structure, the cat starts scratching the bark at a satisfyingly high point. It is sure that no other cat will be able to reach up this high from the ground to cover its mark, meaning that the tree, together with the hatchlings, is properly marked and that the food source is secured from other felines.
Maybe later during the night the cat will come back if the hunt proves unsuccessful.

The next most important place to mark again is the dumpster as it provides a steady food source no matter the weather or season. It is not the only one of its kind but they are all heavily fought over.
The cat positions itself, its rear end facing the object of interest. Lifting its fluffed tail, slightly curled at the tip, and arching its back the cat quivers slightly.

A faint splashing can be heard.