The other sort of rodent

It is nearly time, the cat can feel it. Most of the people are gone and won't be back for another one and a half hour.
The sun has grown stronger since its lie-down on the ledge shortly after daybreak.

It observes the square some more and finally decides to leave its perch.

The destination is clear in its mind: there is a nest full of hatchlings halfway up a tree - an easy snack that will last some days.

Fully concentrating on its prey the hunter is oblivious to the fact that itself has become prey to someone else: the child, maybe three, maybe four years old, has wandered off on its own, unbeknownst to its mother.

Meanwhile the cat has crossed the square and prepares itself to jump and climb the tree making use of its worn bark.
It is focused on finding the best spot to start as to not get stuck and doesn't notice the toddler getting closer. It too is focused on getting what it wants - a cat to pick up and cuddle to death.
The very moment it crouches down and leaps up, the toddler grabs the tail of the cat.

Taken by surprise the cat barely manages to land on all fours. Immediately turning around to face its aggressor, it fluffs up its fur instinctively as to appear larger and more frightening an opponent. It also bears its fangs, showing the toddler what she is up against.

The little girl is oblivious to the facts that bared fangs, fluffed up fur and bristled tail pointing straight to the skies equals the instant infliction of pain if the opponent doesn't back down and takes flight at speed.
Just like the cat that didn't notice the toddler approaching and prepared to jump, the little girl proceeds with picking up the disgruntled cat.

What follows is quick and painful for both the toddler and the cat.
While being lifted by its front paws, the cat makes its protest known by both hissing menacingly and extending its claws.

The child immediately lets go when sensing the pain the claws inflict on its wrists and forearms.

Once on the ground again and for good measure, teaching the rugrat a lesson, the cat reaches up and swipes its paw across the girls face. Not strong enough to create lasting scars but sufficient to send the girl running, face stained by scratches and tears.

From wandering off to taking flight screaming and sobbing it took the girl not even a minute.
But due to the noise, those hatchlings that can have fled the illusory safety given by their nest.
Those that can't escape yet aren't worth killing now either, not when given a few days they might provide a full - and potentially essential for survival - meal.