20. Under Control

Allison was sat on the window seat looking out onto the street and drawing while listening to Hilary Duff's song 'Inner Strength' streaming through her speakers in the background. She was watching people going out with their families and enjoying their day together and thought about her mom and how much she missed her. Allison looked away from the scene, closed her eyes, rested her head back on the wall and listened to the song.

After the song ended she just thought about how the world was completely screwed up with all this vampire shit going on. What was it going to be next, werewolves? She hated the fact that everybody died because of these vampires, but then again, people died before they came and it wasn't necessarily fair to blame them because they were vampires. She'd learnt that a long time ago with Stefan and on many occasions Damon. Yeah, so maybe it was unfair to assume everything was a vampires fault. She was being judgmental and she quickly shook the feeling away from her. Allison didn't like being judgmental and she almost never was.

Allison sighed and looked at her guitar that was sitting across from her as 'The Math by Hilary Duff' began to start. She picked up her guitar and began to strum easily along with the song as the bass guitar started up. She knew all the words and the amazing feeling to actually be playing again caused her to sing along.

You're always trying to figure out
What I am all about
If you don't know what the answer is
Then just shut up and kiss

It shouldn't take forever
To put it all together

[CHORUS:]

If you can't do the math
Then get out of the equation
I am calling you back
This is star 69

Is it a minus or a plus
Does enough equal enough
If you can't do the math
Then nothing adds up
Tell me why I'm here

She smiled to herself as she realized how easy music came to her. She had forgotten how much joy it gave her. "Beautiful voice." Allison screamed at the sound of his voice and dropped her guitar to the floor. She turned to her left and Damon was sitting there smirking at her. "Damon, what the heck? You almost gave me a heart attack." Allison screeched.

He only laughed, "what? I can't believe you didn't notice me." He looked at her guitar on the floor and picked it up, "must've been really into it." He handed her the guitar and she took it hesitantly, watching him with cautious eyes. "Play me some more."

This seemed to snap her out of her gaze, "huh?" "You heard me. Play me some more." She shifted in her seat uncomfortably, "umm, I don't know." Damon noted her nervousness and nudged her shoulder, "hey, what am I gonna do? I'm not gonna say anything bad." "yeah, but you know I haven't had an audience since..." "Your mother was alive." Damon concluded sighing as she cringed slightly, but nodded.

He nudged her again, "it's okay, I'm not gonna do anything." She nodded. This would have to be done sooner or later and music made her feel good; alive. It also kept the memory of her mother alive. It was something they shared and did together and she felt that it was her job to keep their passion for music going. She decided to put her guitar back on the stand and grabbed her ukulele that hung on her wall. Damon watched her and was interested in hearing her play another instrument. "What do you wanna hear?" She asked a  little shakily.

Damon shrugged, "anything." Rolling her eyes at him she began to wrack her brain for a song. A few came to mind, but one in particular stood out the most. She used her remote and turned off the stereo. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes as she began strumming a song that she wrote herself. 'You're The Reason' .

I don't wanna make a scene
I don't wanna let you down
Try to do my own thing
And I'm starting to figure it out
That it's alright
Keep it together wherever we go
And it's alright, oh well, whatever
Everybody needs to know