Prologue

Disclaimer: I do not own the vampire diaries, only the characters I create.

She always knew he was dangerous. That he had killed people to survive, or just out of plain spite. She knew all of those things, but she also knew that he was lonely and that all he truly wanted was for someone to care.

She remembered the first time she met him, he was cocky, arrogant, and sarcastic beyond belief. He caused trouble everywhere he went, and hurt people, he had no consideration for anyone else's feelings, and strangely he vaguely reminded her of herself. She was a trouble maker, and was sarcastic and arrogant sometimes, but she had reasons for it. With all of the crap that had happened in her life she'd built walls protecting herself from anyone trying to get to close, and she was sure an over one hundred year old vampire had been through far more crap than her that it made what she'd been through look like a walk through the park. She believed that he too had built walls to protect himself from things like that ever happening again, and so became the infuriatingly obnoxious vampire he is today.

It was strange how he became so important to her and vice versa. They became acquaintances, then they got to know each other and became friends, and soon after best friends. 

They understood one another, came to each other when they needed help or comfort, and made each other laugh when one of them was feeling down. Their feelings changed for one another, and events took place that changed everything and they found themselves wondering, how the heck did they fall in love with each other.