Chapter 23

Chapter 23

Do you know the panic

I know?

I pull up to Jerry's auto shop, finding a space close to the front. There are cars and motorcycles sitting in the lot as well, some I recognize and some I don't. Today, no one had school due to a teachers work day, causing a three day weekend. I spent the morning sleeping in and regaining the much needed rest. Dad was at work when I woke, but Mum made breakfast instead of going to the club house. 

Harry, however, is the complete opposite. I woke up to a text from him, saying that he was going to go into work to just get the extra money. He said a few days ago that he's trying to save up for the fair tomorrow, even though I assured him he didn't need to do that. He retaliated with the argument that the guy is suppose to pay for these sorts of things. But Harry has never been easily influenced. He knows what he wants, and this is just that.  

I didn't feel like staying in all day, though, so I sent him a quick text just before I left the house that I was coming to see him. Much to our dismay, we haven't been able to see each other as much as we have in the past few weeks this week. Harry's been taking extra shifts, teachers are giving more and more homework as the end of school draws near, and even though we have two classes and lunch together, it's just not enough. Almost every day right before lunch has finished, Harry would pull me away from the group and take me down an empty hall. He would kiss me, maybe sneak in a few squeezes and hot words, but then the bell would ring. To say the least, if I could make little clips of my life and put them together, this past week would be a montage of those scenes.

The clash of metal makes an awful noise as I make my way into one of the open garage doors. Unfortunately I don't spot Harry immediately, and his boots aren't poking out from under cars.

A low whistle comes from my left side. "Well, long time no see, Virgin Mary ─ well, not anymore."

My eyes fly and land on Liam. He's in a shirt that's been cut at the shoulders and ripped jeans covers in grease. Even a little has managed its way to his temple, along with perspiration running down his forehead.

"What do you mean?" I cross my arms over my crop top, long sleeved shirt, with the picture of a woman smoking shirt. It's one of my more riskier bought tops, but I've had a pair of shorts ─ the ones I wear now ─ that I haven't worn because I didn't have the right shirt. It also displays the bellybutton ring I put on when I was safely out of my mother's watch. I was hoping to surprise Harry a bit, but now I feel overly exposed in front of his friend.

"Well, unless Harry shagged some other chick last week, I'd say you've now been broken," he snickers.

There's a roll of wheels against concrete and then Louis' voice. "Liam, I know it's hard, but don't be rude." He stands from his place on the creeper, wiping his hands on his jeans. "It's not nice to tease someone else's doll."

"I-I'm not his doll," I stutter. "Can you just tell me where Harry is?" I ask a bit quicker.

They both shrug, but Louis says, "Probably in the office."

Liam points to a door that I assume will lead to "the office". I hesitantly amble over to it, my eyebrows in a constant furrow as I look back over my shoulder to only find them staring after me.

I feel better and more secure once I'm on the other side of the door. The first room I see isn't an office, it's a waiting room that has seats, a counter and a computer. There's a door at the back that's not quite closed where the sound of clicking comes from, and I follow it. 

I soundlessly peep my head through the door, finding Harry behind a wooden desk, staring intently at a computer screen, his eyes moving back and forth like he's reading something. He hasn't noticed me yet, so I say, "Hey."