Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Don't make me wait

With my heart on my sleeve

Harry was right. Word does get around because the man himself texted me his address around sundown, and I never messaged him first, but I did put his number in so his name popped up when he messaged me. Normally I would be crept out by this, but I couldn't hold back my small grin and the fluttering wings of my heart as I opened it.

Of course I had to be around Dad at the time Harry sent it, so there was speculation on who I was talking to. I quickly exited out of the message app, locking my phone and lied right to his face. "Christopher," I try to sell. Luckily I don't lie enough for him to question me further and he left me alone.

Harry also included a time, he said around 7 o'clock. I sent him a small reply telling him that I'll try to get away from my parents as soon as possible, to which Harry asked if we were playing Monopoly and drinking champagne. I rolled my eyes until I realised that he couldn't see me and replied with a witty remark.

I asked Crystal and Jamie if they'd like to come with me, but Jamie said he had work at the car garage downtown. Crystal said she would, which I hardly doubt she would've declined anyways. But my friend had the idea to invite Christopher along with us tonight. I wanted to decline, but Crystal was already working on it, and she said Christopher was coming.

I don't know why he would because parties like this aren't his kind of thing. I have a feeling he's only going because I am.

After I get my bag from upstairs and start back to the living room, I stop short, hearing Mum's low voice talking to Dad. I make sure to stay out of their sight as I'm compelled to listen in.

"I think it's getting worse," Mum whispers, obviously try to not attract unwanted attention.

"How can you tell?"

"The signs are there─"

"Hey!" I finish my journey down the steps, cutting off whatever Mum was going to say. Mum and Dad sit on the sofa, the TV on low volume. They put on their straight faces, acting like they weren't saying anything behind my back, but I know better. I've come in on many discussions like the one they were just having, and every time they play it off. It unsettles me to think that they feel comfortable lying to me, even when or if it's about me. Then again, I know I'm about to lie to them, so everyone loses. "Um, I'm going out in town with Crystal tonight, okay?"

 "And where will you be going?" She asks.

"Just out." I want to be as vague as possible so my story won't slip up.

She nods like she believes me, and I wait for her to say something against it, but neither she nor Dad go against it. "Okay, just be safe."

"Always am," I promise as I slip on my shoes. I'm out the door soon after just as Crystal pulls up to the sidewalk. She rolls down the window as I hurry down the stepping stone pathway through the yard.

"Clothes are in the back!" Crystal yells, warning me before I hop into the front seat. I slide into the back seat, noticing the pile of cloths of neutral colours in the place next to me and a pair red TOMS lying on top, along with a makeup bag. Crystal said that she'd bring me something a little more "appropriate" for the party tonight, because she already knows that I'd never be able to leave the house in clothes that would be accepted tonight. I just hope that she didn't go overboard.

Sure enough, as I shift through the material, I wince at how short the shorts are, the right leg covered in lace while the other is left in plain denim. They're so tiny that the pockets peek from the bottom hem. The shirts a bit better, a gray, long sleeves sweatshirt that Crystal says is supposed to be tied up to my waist and to the side. At least the shoes aren't sky high; it'll be a nice change.