Chapter 10 - Disputes

When Alexander, Rose, and Rosa arrived at Evangeline High School that morning, they were quiet and miserable, keeping to themselves while they waited for Rosa's cheek to fully heal. Rosa hung her hair over half of her face so no one would see her bruise as they walked into the playground. As soon as Francesco spotted Rosa entering the school premises, he rushed to her side, joy clear on his face, until he saw hers.

"Rosa, what's wrong? What happened?" he asked, troubled, taking hold of her arms when he reached her. She looked at his hands, and tears fell from her eyes.

"I do not think Rosa is in the mood for studying today, Mr. Dawson," Rose told him immediately, not liking the idea that he thought it was okay to touch her.

"Yes," Alexander agreed. "I don't know why she would help you anyway," he added smugly, his chin in the air.

Francesco huffed. "Oh shut up!" he exclaimed heatedly, forgetting his place.

"Do not dare speak to him like that!" Rosa retorted protectively.

Francesco stared at her, surprised by the tone in her voice. "Okay ... I'm going to go then," he replied lifting his hands up as he backed off. He turned around and started for the school block disturbed, and guilt covered Rosa's face.

"That was harsh ... I'd better apologise," she said quickly and then instantaneously ran after him, without another thought to what her siblings would think.

"Rosa! Goodness, why bother? He doesn't deserve it," Alexander yelled out after her, not understanding why his sister was showing the scum any kindness.

"Alexander! I mean, Alex. You should not be like that," Rose said, taken aback. She couldn't comprehend why he was so cold towards the Dawsons; they had never done anything wrong to him.

*****

Rosa followed Francesco into the empty school block, and he spun around to face her as soon as the doors closed behind her. "What the hell was that about?" he asked upset.

"I am sorry, but you should not speak to my brother that way. He also has feelings you know?" she replied glumly.

"I know, but he was being so rude!" Francesco stated, wound up.

Stressed, Rosa buried her face in her hands. "I know," she whispered into her palms, trying with great difficulty not to fall apart.

"What's wrong?" Francesco asked, noticing the huge change in her mood since earlier that day. She looked more pale than usual, and that scared him. He instantly felt badly for being so upset. He raised her chin with his fingers and asked her once more, this time more gently. "Rosa, what's wrong? Has something happened?"

"My grandfather, he ... he... " Rosa started to say, but she trembled with fear at the memory of the darkness in Antonio's eyes and the strength of his slap.

Francesco pulled her into his arms and held her close, caressing her long hair. "He what?" Francesco asked. Worry and anger seeped beneath the surface. Whatever had happened, it hadn't been good.

"He ... hit me ... across the face," she cried into his shirt, drenching it with her tears.

Francesco's eyes went sharp with rage. "I'm gonna kill him," he exclaimed, suddenly furious. He whipped around, intent on hunting the king down, but Rosa pulled him back.

"No!" she shouted. "No. You have no chance!" In utter fear, Rosa grabbed him and turned him back around so he was facing her. She pulled him into her arms again.

Francesco enclosed himself protectively around her, gently caressing her back in circular movements. "Why?" he asked, gritting his teeth and biting his lip to stop himself from screaming with rage. If King Antonio wasn't your grandfather I'd kill him, no matter what the consequences! Francesco thought wrathfully.