Chapter 14 - Gossip

Rose quickly swished her fingers over the free white wall in her new bedroom, and her dressing table appeared through a white light, landing gently in front of the wall. She smiled, feeling more at home. Her room was now complete. She had all her casual clothes in the tall, wooden antique wardrobe and her bedside tables, ready for wear. All her belongings were in their places. She finally sat down in front of her dressing table, feeling exhausted. She had never moved anywhere, and she realised she didn't want to do it again for a very long time. She couldn't even imagine how hard it would have been without her powers. She picked up her golden-coloured, bristled brush and started combing through her long, golden-white hair.

Derrick had been on her mind all day, from the moment she woke up till now. She couldn't stop thinking about what had happened that previous night. Rose had never been so intimate with a man. She had felt things in places she'd never thought possible and had experienced feelings she had never felt before. Her feelings for Derrick were stronger and more intense than she had thought possible, and she really didn't know what to do about it—because their union was forbidden. Rose felt guilty for letting Derrick get so close to her, for letting him touch her. But he was so hard to deny. The temptation to be touched by him was painfully unbearable. She remembered his hot mouth on hers, and she slid a little out of her seat, feeling a wave of heat overwhelm her. She held onto the dressing table for support because she couldn't remember how to keep herself up. Rose's heart hammered in her chest as she remembered his large, dark hands holding her, his angelic hands brushing up her arms. She smiled drunkenly.

Just then, Rosa walked into her room. "Finished?" Rosa asked before realising her sister was barely with her.

Rose jumped in her seat, shocked; she placed her hand on her hammering heart and turned to face her sister. "Rosa! Oh my goodness, you scared me."

"I can see that. What were you daydreaming about?" Rosa asked, smiling. She had an inkling who Rose was thinking about, and the shock on her face when she walked in the room was quite humorous. She chuckled.

"It is not funny," Rose complained with a smile on her face. She threw her brush at her sister, but before it hit her, Rosa flung her hand up, spreading her fingers apart, and the brush froze in the air before falling to the ground.

"I cannot believe you just did that," Rosa said.

"I knew you would catch it," Rose stated before standing up. She then bent down and grabbed the brush. And just as she set it down on her dressing table, the doorbell rang. Rose and Rosa glanced at each other. Rosa grinned at Rose and then turned and rushed out of the room. Rose followed but hesitated at the doorway, noticing there were no guards. She felt saddened by that realisation but also happy at the same time. She shook her head and hurried down the hallway.

*****

When Rosa reached the end of the stairs, she found Alyssa at the front door. Madeline and Caroline were waiting just outside. "Please, come in." Alyssa welcomed them both with a smile, and the girls entered the house, overnight bags in their hands.

"Caroline, Madeline," Rosa called, greeting their friends happily. She embraced them both, and Alyssa closed and locked the front door.

"I'll be in the kitchen if you need me. Please ladies, make yourselves at home," Alyssa said with a gentle grin and then exited the room.

"Your mother is lovely," Caroline said warmly just as Rose entered the room.

Rosa looked at Rose and said sadly, "She is not our mother."

Rose gave Madeline and Caroline a quick hug, and they stared at her, confused.

"She doesn't look like a maid. She has fine jewellery and an amazing complexion. And I've never seen anyone with such amazing nails—not one fault. Actually, she resembles the queen come to think of it," Madeline said thoughtfully, turning to stare curiously in the direction Alyssa had gone.