ESCAPE ROUTE

CHAPTER 16

Joey was back, and helping out in the diner. It was a Friday afternoon, and the diner had less customers, for a change. Bel and Lana were serving customers, when Jacob walked inside. They both noticed him, but Lana tried by all means to ignore him. Walking away, she passed him without even saying a word and went to stand behind the counter with Joey.
Bel watched as Lana walked away, and she shook her head with a smile. She followed Jacob, who was at the same table he sat on the last time he was in the diner.

"Hi Jacob," Bel gave him a warm smile.

"Hi Bel," he replied.

"What can I get you?" She pulled out a pen and notepad.

"Yeah... um... could you get Lana for me? I want her to take my order, if you don't mind?"

Bel was taken aback. Raising an eyebrow, she smiled. "Sure, I'll go get her," she smiled and walked away.

There was murmuring coming from behind the counter. Even though they whispered, Jacob could hear every word clearly. Lana exhaled heavily, and walked to Jacob's table. She stood in front of him and pulled out a notepad and a pen.

"What can I get you?" She asked sharply.

"Hi... I'm good, thanks... How are you?"

"Jacob, what do you want?" She was losing her patience.

He was suddenly serious. "I just want too talk,"

"I'm working."

"I can see that. I'll be quick."

"You were a total jerk the last time you where in here, and now that you want too talk, I'm just supposed to listen? Well, I'm busy," she wasn't tolerating him today. "So if you'll excuse me, I have other customers to attend too," she started walking away.

Jacob quickly grabbed her by the wrist. "Lana please, I won't take much of your time," he said gently.

She glared furiously at him. Her eyes studied him for a while, and she exhaled. She sat on the other side of the table.
"Make It quick," she said.

"Fristly, I'm sorry, for my behavior. You didn't deserve any of it."

"Yeah, I didn't." She said. Sharply.

He grinned. "I'm sorry, " he said gently.

"Apologise not accepted."

His phone vibrated. He pulled it out of his pocket and signed when he saw the number that was calling, was for Matthew.
He glanced back at Lana. He smiled and leaned forward.
"Let me make it up too you. Dinner tonight," he suggested.

She chuckled. "Right," she said sarcastically. "You wanted too talk to me about something?" She tried to change the topic.

"Lana I'm serious. I'll pick you up from here, after you're done working. We can talk then," he said.

"The first time, you didn't show up. How can I be sure, you won't pull the same stunt on me again?"

"I won't. I promise," he put on a serious face.