MYSTERIES

CHAPTER 14

They was a steal silence in the diner. Bel and her friends were still traumatized by what they had seen.

"What the hell just happened?" Tess spoke out.

"Lana, who was that?" Madison asked.

Lana had a confused looked on her face. "I... I don't know," she said.

"What do you mean you don't know, she was clearly after you," Madison started to get unease. "What did she want?" She asked.

"I don't know Maddy!" Lana now rose her voice.

"Relax Maddy," Chloe said.

"Relax?" She started. "My brother would have died, and you're telling me to relax!" Madison shouted.

"It's not Lana's fault, Maddy, calm down," Bel said.

They were all silent again.

"I'm sorry," Madison said calmly.

"What did she want from you?" Bel asked softly.

"I don't know, she just got my phone, and it looked like copying something from it. I'm not exactly sure what," she said.

"We need to call the cops," Tess suggested.

Joey chuckles. "Yeah... And tell them what? We don't even know what we're dealing with, or how to even explain what just happened. They'll think we're crazy," he said.

"Joey's right," Bel started. "The cops won't believe us anyway," she said.

Joey started to get up, he was clearly still in pain. He sat at the table nearest to him. "I say we take this into our on hands, and find out what we can," he said.

Madison's eyes widened, she didn't like the sound of that. "The hell, you are!" She was raising her voice again. "Have you lot your mind? Have you already forgotten what just happened to you, not long ago?"she scolded.

They was a heated argument between Madison and Joey. She was against the idea of getting themselves involved in something that was dangerous, but Joey was always the curious one in the family. Madison only cared for his safety, because he was her young brother and the last family she had. She made a promise to their parents too always protect him.

It was the second time Bel and Lana had seen something unusual happening, and they too became curious, and wanted to find out what was happening.

The next day, Joey didn't show up in the morning for work. Bel made up a story and explained on his behalf, that he was injured when working last night.
It was not until afternoon, when Joey walked into the diner. He Rushed to the storage room where he found Bel and Lana who were startled when he walked in abruptly. His hair was ruffled, like he just got out of bed. He was wearing a white T-shirt, light blue jeans and was carrying a bag on one shoulder. He put the bag on a small table In front of him and began removing the contents inside. He removed different kinds of big books and quickly started opening them without a word.
Bel and Lana were taken aback.

"Joey, what's all this?" Bel asked looking so confused.

"Okay... so I did some light reading last night," he started, when he was interrupted.

Lana's eyes widened. "You call that light," she looked shocked.

Joey paused, looking at her, and then continued. "Anyway, I went through a lot of this books this morning at the library and I think I know what we're dealing with," he flipped a page in one of the books and pointed at an image inside. "Vampires," he said.

Bel and Lana looked at each other confused. Joey could see that they were confused, and started explaining further. He explained how it all started to make sense to him and how it added up to what had happened last night.

"How else can you explain how a human being has that kind of strength?" He questioned them.

"It still doesn't explain the people, Bel and I saw with the freaky red eyes," Lana replied.

"It does, look at these," Joey opened one book after another, and flipped page after page, pointing at different kinds of pictures. "All these vampires are different from the other, I guess what you guys saw was a different kind." he said.
"Vampires only move in the night because they are vulnerable to sun light. I guess that's why we've only been able too see them in the night. Nothing ever happens during the day light," he said. 

It was now beginning to make sense for Lana, but Bel wasn't fully convinced. "But if what you say is true, then why isn't their a picture of the same kind of vampire we saw in any of these books?" She asked.

"Because vampires are considered to be a myth, or just some ghost story people made up, that's why they are so many different kinds of pictures in books. Cause no one really knows what they really look like," Joey explained.
"What if the person you saw, the person Lana saw, and that lady from last night were the real form of vampires?"

"That could be true, but her eyes were not red. So that could mean something else," Bel looked more convinced than before.

Joey held up one book. "We'll just have to research more on the two of them," he concluded.

Twenty minutes had past and still they found nothing. Tess barged in the room and gave everyone a startle.

"Dammit Tess," Lana had her hand on her chest. "You scared me," she gasped in air.

"What are you two still doing in here, Chloe and I need some help. And you," Tess pointed at Joey. "You're supposed to be home, resting. What are you doing here?" She asked.

Tess saw the open books on the small table, and she picked one of them.
"Vampires, really?" She rose an eyebrow, giving Joey a questioning look.

"They're real, Tess," Lana said.

Tess glanced, her eyes studying her friends. "Is this about what happened last night?" She asked. "Maddy told you to leave it alone," she said.

"Yeah well, lucky for as she isn't here. And since when do I ever listen to what Maddy says," he signed.

"Fine, then tell me. What do you expect to do when you find her?" Tess put the book back on the table and he didn't answer. "You don't know what she is Joey, she's dangerous and that's the only thing we know about her," she walked to him. "Please, just leave it alone," she said softly.

Joey was silent for a while, staring at Tess. "Okay. fine. I will," he said in defeat.

"Thank you," Tess gave him a warm smile. "Now go home and get some rest, or else I'll be the one to break your other arm," she teased, and pushed his other shoulder lightly.

Bel and Lana went back to their duties. Joey left the diner but had no intention of stopping his research. He headed back to the library later that day and continued with his reading. He was determined to find out what little information he could about what the lady was, even though he had an idea, and thought she was a vampire. The mystery still remained, and Joey was not going to give up finding it out.