The Letter |Ch. 28

I was awoken a few minutes later by Jake attempting at gently placing me on the couch. For a few seconds, the earlier events of the day felt clouded in my mind.

Then I remembered Derek and his friends... Jake finding me... the corner store...

"I'm sorry," I mumbled.

"You kept apologizing in your sleep.You know there's nothing to be sorry for, babe."

Babe? My cheeks flamed a bright red at his words, which he would have pointed out and possibly laughed at... if it wasn't so dark that he couldn't see my face.

"You should get some rest," he proposed.

"Just because I was... roughed up a little, doesn't mean I need more rest. Or any rest at all... as a matter of fact, I'm staying up tonight."

"Why would you stay up all night when we both know 'roughed up' is an inaccurate term to use for what happened tonight," he raised a brow.

In all honesty, I was terrified to go to sleep. I'd rather die than have more nightmares about Derek.

"To prove a point. I'm not weak and fragile, okay? I'm much more than that," I lied.

I stood up from the couch and scurried to the 'window', taking a look outside to make sure no one had followed us here.

Derek specifically.

"You're not weak, and I know that already. Plus, they won't find us here. No one will. It's no use staying up for that." He said as if he could read my mind.

Jake joined me by the windowsill, wrapped an arm around my waist, and gave me a soft kiss on the forehead.

"I know... I'm just paranoid," I sighed.

"That's understandable, but you should still go to sleep. I'll even stay awake until then just in case anything happens."

In my normal state of mind, I'd refuse and feel sorry for being the cause of his insomnia, but frankly, sleep was what I needed the most right now... and the remedy to my nightmares was right there for me.

"I d-don't want to sleep alone on the couch though."

He left my side to fish something out of the chest. When he turned around, he held an armful of blankets. I hurried by his side to take a few from him and help lay them out on the floor to create a comfortable surface.

Once we were done, Jake threw two pillows on top of the blankets and waved me over to lay down with him.

"Why did you come back?," I asked after resting my head against his chest.

"I forgot to give you your phone, and I was bringing it back," he caressed my cheek and planted a kiss on my lips.

"Promise me one thing," he asked.

I nodded, "Anything."

"Never go near him again. I don't want him hurting you. Ever... promise me."

"Now that isn't a promise I'll have trouble keeping." A weak smile appeared on his handsome face.

After a moment of silence, he spoke again. "We have to go to school tomorrow."

I sighed, "I know."

"Now I won't let you go near anyone without being there myself... hey, that reminds me; there's this party I'm invited at tomorrow but I don't really care for going with my friends since the whole Connor dilemma. So would you come with me?"

"I don't know... I havn't been to a party before," I hesitated.

"Well there's music and dancing and drinks, you'll love it. Plus, I'll be there," he grinned.