Effects of the Mask

Start from the beginning

His eyes widened as he took in the large, fancy mansion that she lived in, and gazed toward the stern, slender figure that stood over the lower level of his house.

"Who is he?" Gabriel asked Nathalie, although his tone sounded more like a demand rather than a question.

"Ugh, Gabriel," she disgustedly referred to him informally, "This is my significant other, if that's what you want to know."

Felix picked up the hint she dropped, and immediately he knew this was Hawkmoth, the guy who wanted to take her away from him. Gently wriggling out of her grasp, he angrily walked up the stairs, wanting to confront the jerk face-to-face.

"Felix, what are you doing?" Nathalie asked, sighing as she watched both men face each other with matching glares, although Felix's was more protective, while Gabriel's happened to be rather irritated.

"Felix Dior," Gabriel spoke after clearing his throat once he got a better look at him, his expression clearly unamused.

"Moth Boy," Felix rose an eyebrow, his shoulders growing more tense.

"Street Tramp," Gabriel referred to him by a name he once used as an insult, gripping his striped tie as he was preparing to transform.

"Enough name-calling. Felix, let's go," she walked up the stairs, pulling him away to go find his brother.

"So I guess you faked your own death," Gabriel added just as Felix began to follow Nathalie out, "While you were pretending to be dead, your parents moved away. Unfortunately, on their way out, they got in an unfortunate car crash, and didn't make it."

Completely disregarding the previous accusation of faking his own death, he felt himself spin and lurch forward as if he were to attack, but Nathalie grabbed him, strongly wrapping her arms around his chest. "You're such a liar, Gabriel," she sneered, feeling Felix's breathing pattern weaken in utter disbelief, "I didn't hear a thing about that."

"I don't lie, Miss Sancouer. Maybe you didn't hear because Gordon doesn't talk anymore. He did miss an entire week of work last year, and—"

"You're lying!" Felix accused him, writhing and twisting out of Nathalie's hold on him. As he broke loose, she yet again managed to hold him back from bringing physical aggression to the confrontation.

"Felix, ignore him! He likes to upset people," she yanked him behind her, "Gabriel, stop! Do you even want me to make the deal or not?! If it weren't for how much your son wants to see his mom, I would've already called the deal off!"

"Nathalie, don't!" Felix anxiously grabbed her arm. Was she serious about actually doing the trade? She couldn't be. He was terrified of the actual answer to that.

With that, Gabriel went silent and Felix followed behind her. Once the front door opened, a joyful Adrien walked in through the door, linking hands with the pigtailed girl.

Nathalie watched Gabriel's eyes wander from her earlobes to Marinette's, then he fixated his glare on the woman. She glared back, cautiously blocking the girl from his view by stepping in the way. Still wearing the earrings, Marinette was totally unaware of the true identity of the man in her presence.

"Hey Nathalie, I actually got Marinette back!" Adrien interrupted, then noticed his father as well. "Hi Father, I'd like you to meet Marinette!"