Chapter 12

Chapter 12

~Hunter~

       I stared at the ice cream container in front of me, repeatedly stabbing it with my spoon before finally taking a bit out of it. I really shouldn't be doing this but I was a very mopey person and ice cream always helped.

       It was a shame chocolate was the only flavour left in the house.

       But that didn't stop me from eating this ice cream.

       Dad walked into the kitchen, noticing that I was sitting out the counter but he didn't take much note of what I was doing before looking for something to snack on. "So how did the song go?" he asked. "Was Kevin pleased with it?"

       "Yep," I said. "He was more than happy to include it on the album and take off the song I dread."

       Dad furrowed his eyebrows. "Then why don't you sound happy? That's amazing news, Hunter."

       "I know," I said. "But that's not why I'm moody right now."

       "Then why exactly are you moody?" Dad asked.

       I didn't reply. I couldn't. Dad wouldn't understand and I definitely didn't want to say the reason out loud.

       Oh, it's no big deal, really. I just saw the guy I'm in love with kiss his ex-girlfriend and he definitely seemed into it. And he would have told me if she did something to annoy him because he complains about her all the time. But you know, no big deal.

       Since I wasn't saying anything, Dad looked over at me and finally realized what I was doing. "Is that...?" He walked over to see the chocolate ice cream in front of me. "What the hell are you doing?"

       "What does it look like I'm doing?" I asked. "I'm eating ice cream."

       "No, you're not," Dad said, taking the spoon out of my hand and closing the container. "Seriously, are you trying to make your disease even worse?" He slapped me upside the head. "You're not supposed to be eating chocolate."

       "Well, this is the only ice cream we have," I said. "And at least I'm not turning to alcohol to drown my sorrows."

       Dad sat down in the stool beside me, pushing the ice cream container to the side. "So who broke your heart?"

       "What are you talking about?" I asked.

       "I know a broken heart when I see one," Dad said. "I'm the king of broken hearts."

       "The king of broken hearts?" I repeated. "You only had a broken heart once. And it wasn't really a broken heart. It was just you telling mom you're in love with her and not giving her time to reply because you thought she wasn't going to feel the same way."

       "Okay, fair enough," Dad said. "But I can tell when my son has a broken heart."

       I sighed. "It's not... It's not a broken heart. I'm just... Really confused. Look, it's complicated, Dad. I don't want to get into it. I'd rather figure it out on my own. In the meantime, I think I'm going to go see Thunder."

       "Okay," Dad said. "But just know that I'll always be here if you need someone to talk to. Anyway, I am going to continue finding something to snack on before your mother and I have to go out somewhere. I was going to ask you if you could watch Ivy but it seems like you have too much on your mind to focus on babysitting."

       "Well, you're right there," I said before getting up from my seat and heading to the backdoor so I could head to the stables. 

       And as if things couldn't get any worse, it was pouring outside. I was still going to go see Thunder but there was no way I was going to go riding in the rain, especially when my mind was so foggy.