28

The gym was almost unrecognizable will all the banners, streamers, and lights that decorated the space

The gym was almost unrecognizable will all the banners, streamers, and lights that decorated the space. The addition of the stage, where a hired DJ was currently talking to Principal Herrings, made it seem like a completely different room. If things went smoothly, I'd be up there later, accepting a crown and getting drenched in paint in front of hundreds of people.

I glanced towards the ceiling, where I could just barely spot the can of paint perched on the backboard of the raised basketball hoop. I was sure it wouldn't be the last time I'd check for it that night-- I'd been paranoid all day that someone would have found and removed it, and I was still nervous that it would somehow get messed with during the dance.

"You excited?" Roy asked, drawing my attention back to him. It was a wonder I even managed to get distracted in the first place-- he looked perfect. Still Roy, with messy hair and a contagious smile, but unfamiliar enough in his sophisticated outfit that I was finding it hard to look away. 

"Nervous might be a better word," I admitted. I'd been trying to seem nonchalant about the whole thing, but every time I imagined the upcoming stunt my stomach churned and my body filled with worry. I kept reminding myself of what Maddie had done the night before and how much more daunting her task had been, but it didn't do much more than make me feel guilty.

"That's understandable." One of his hands moved to the small of my back, pulling me closer as a rowdy group hurried past us towards the dancefloor. My heart picked up speed, butterflies breaking out where his warm touch rested, lingering even after the group passed. "Just try not to think about it too much."

My face warmed as I realized that thanks to how close we were, I'd already stopped thinking about the challenge. 

"You know, I asked you here before The Seven sent that message." Roy stepped even closer as someone bumped into him from behind. It was hard to focus on what he was saying with him inches away, our proximity reminding me of the night where he'd kissed my cheek, the last time we'd been this close. "I know we have a lot to do tonight, but... I still intend to treat this like a date, If that's okay with you."

I nodded, grinning as the words traveled through the fog clouding my brain. "Of course."

Throughout the night, it was interesting to see Roy in his element. I knew he was popular, but the dance only made it more apparent-- I wasn't expecting so many people to say hi, or stop to chat with him. He introduced me to everyone who came by, and I wasn't surprised by the few people who asked what school I was from, or if I was new. They were all nice, and all the socializing managed to distract me from my nerves, which were split between Roy and the challenge.

We were hanging out at the food table, eating some of the snacks displayed across the red table cloth and joking with some of his friends about the out of place looking chaperones when I felt a tap on my shoulder.

"Delivery," Maddie said, slipping a stack of small papers into my hand. I was surprised to see how fast they were making the ballots-- her first stop hadn't been that long ago.