12

I stood in front of the mirror again, even though I knew it was a bad idea-- every time I did, I managed to see something about my hair, makeup, or outfit that just didn't seem good enough

I looked fine, donned in a black v-neck and black skinny jeans, with heeled boots I had bought last year despite knowing I had nowhere to wear them to-- although I guess tonight proved that was no longer true. Still, I walked to my closet and yanked out a dark green flannel, pulling it on for warmth and to make myself look more casual. Was I supposed to look casual? Was I supposed to dress it up or down? I groaned in frustration, almost believing that this would be the hardest part of the night.

My phone dinged and a text from Roy popped up on the screen. 
I'm parked where you said, lets partyyyyyyyy

I smiled at the message, taking a deep breath and putting the phone in my pocket. Now or never.

I fluffed the pillows stuffed under the blankets on my bed, trying to make the lumps look as human as possible. I smiled once I turned off my lights-- it looked surprisingly believable. My parents, who despite my hour of begging the night before did not give me permission to go out, probably wouldn't even think twice if they happened to check in on me.

I walked over to the window by my closet and pulled the curtains aside, lifting it open before popping out the screen and setting it in my closet where no one would see. I took a deep breath, trying to calm my nerves as I stuck one foot out the window and onto the roof of the backyard porch. I tested the stability, shifting my weight from leg to leg. It seemed sturdy enough, so I maneuvered my body through the window, bringing out my other foot. I reached back inside and closed the curtains, pulling the window shut most of the way-- I would just need a little room to open it again later.

I took my first step, adjusting to the incline of the short roof, squatting and turning around when I got to the edge. I gripped onto the end and jumped down, my feet landing on the railing of the porch as I silently prayed I would have enough upper body strength to lift myself up when it came time to sneak back in.

I hopped off and hurried across the yard to the surrounding wooden fence, which was easy enough to climb over. Once my feet hit the grass on the other side, I paused for a few seconds, letting myself relish in the rebellion of what I'd just done. I felt both exhilarated and guilty.

I took a deep breath, turning away from my house and towards Roy's car, which was parked on the other side of the street. I crossed, opening the door and sliding inside, where he was staring at me with a look that I couldn't quite place.

"You snuck out," he said, blinking a few times before breaking eye contact to start the car. 

I couldn't help but smile, a small laugh escaping me. "I can't believe I just did that."

He laughed too, pulling away from the curb. "I wondered why you asked me to park so specifically." 

I looked out the window, feeling giddy as we left my neighborhood. "My parents wouldn't let me go out, but I wasn't about to miss a challenge. Even if this one seems..." I trailed off, not even knowing how to describe it.

"Weird? Impossible? Like an invasion of privacy?" Roy suggested.

"Bingo," I said. "I'm all for a cheater getting exposed, don't get me wrong. I just...I don't know. I guess it seems weird to try to catch someone."

"It seems a little less chaotic than any of the other challenges. Makes me wonder if they're dialing it down because they're worried about getting caught-- they might've bitten off more than they can chew."

"I hadn't thought about that," I admitted. "Maybe. Either that or they're running out of ideas."

"Could be. I mean, we're only on the second challenge, unless you count finding the code, and they already had us commit a crime. How are they gonna step it up from that?"

"If we're lucky, they won't. But knowing The Seven, I'm sure they'll figure something out."

"Yeah... for all we know, they might've been prepping this thing for years. Who knows what they have planned."

Roy pulled onto a side road and into a neighborhood of large, single-family homes. Cars lined the curb and groups of teenagers crowded the sidewalks, all heading in the same direction. My stomach churned with nerves as he parked, and I tried to calm myself-- this was all just for a challenge, nothing more. I didn't have to socialize, or dance, or do anything other than get in, get what we needed, and go. But what if Roy wanted to stay longer? He was my ride, and unless I asked someone else, I was basically stranded here until he wanted to leave.

"Are you nervous?" Roy asked, snapping me out of my thoughts. 

"What?" I asked, face heating up. Was it that easy to tell?

"You're fidgeting," he clarified. So much for not embarrassing myself. "And you look like you would've preferred if I drove this car off a cliff than took it here."

"I- Yeah, sorry," I apologized, smiling from his joke. "I'm not really used to parties."

"They're fun," he promised. "Especially Parker's. A little crazy, but fun." 

I nodded, trying to look reassured as I unbuckled my seat belt. "I'm just being stupid. I get a little anxious around so many people."

"Why?" he asked, a furrow in his brow and a gentle sincerity in his voice. I could feel my cheeks grow redder as his eyes seemed to study me.

"I dunno. I overthink, I guess. It's sort of narcissistic, to be honest-- I'm always thinking everyone will notice if I do something weird or say something wrong."

"I don't think that makes you a narcissist," he said, the two of us getting out of the car. We met at the front of it and began walking along the sidewalk, following a few familiar faces from school. "I think that makes you a human."

I laughed, looking down at my feet. "Well you don't seem to have that problem, so what does that make you?"

He grinned. "Well, I have the opposite problem. It's this-" he motioned between us, "that makes me nervous. With one on one, there's so much more focus, y'know? In a group or in a classroom, I can say whatever, crack a dumb joke, and that's all anyone expects. It's easy. One on one is more... intense. I've never really been good at it."

"I think you're better at it than you think," I said. He looked at me and we shared a smile. Somehow, being around Roy made me feel more and less shy at the same time.

"Hey," a voice came from behind us and we turned to see Ian passing a rowdy group of guys.

"Hey Ian," Roy greeted. "You ready to meddle with people's lives?"

"Most definitely."

Are you more of a Jade, or a Roy- do you love parties, or are you not a fan? 🎉

Do you think Jade will get caught for sneaking out? 👀