eighteen

kalani depradine

The week went by slow. I brought Amelia into my bedroom while Grayson was gone and she was surprisingly good. I hadn't expected for Grayson to actively communicate with me while he was away, but he did. He texted me daily and video called me when he could. In response to his efforts, I wanted to make his return special.

Steak is his weakness and I planned on making our dinner perfect. The table was set nicely while dinner remained in the oven as I waited for Grayson to get home. Amelia was fast asleep and would be for the remainder of the night if all went well. I wore a silk robe on top of my lingerie resting under.

I rushed to the front door when someone knocked. Grayson said he had just landed and there was no way he could get in from the airport in five minutes. The last person I expected to see was Toby who held a box in hand. Although I hadn't told him of my new address, I figured one of my brothers must've informed him since I assume they're still friends.

"Toby," I showed the surprise in my voice. Usually security calls to let me know someone new would be coming up the driveway. But I hadn't received a call and he's not on the pre approved list of people.

"I know this is unexpected. I was just going through things at home and I found a bunch of your things I thought you'd want," he informed me. I used to leave things at his home all the time and I wasn't surprised he found a bunch.

"Thank you," I opened the door wider without realizing my robe and lingerie were on full display for him to see. My robe was long with feathers at the bottom and at the end of my sleeves. The ties weren't tied and it revealed everything I had going on underneath.

"Shit, sorry did I inter-"

"Oh no. I mean...Grayson is on his way home and should be here soon. But you can come in," I welcomed him into the house. I was slowly becoming more familiar with the layout of the home and it wasn't difficult to lead him upstairs to one of the spare bedrooms with an overflow of my belongings.

"Amelia asleep?" Toby casually questioned.

"She is. Do you wanna see her?" I took his arm and led him further down the hall to her bedroom. I carefully opened the bedroom door where she was asleep. I understood this wouldn't be something Grayson is happy about if he ever found out. But Toby and I have been friends for ages and he deserves to see my first born.

"Fuck, Kalani, she's adorable," he put his finger in the crib to hold her tiny hand. I carefully took her from the crib, gently placing her in his arms. "It's crazy because I honestly thought we'd be those friends who are both single in their thirties and end up having a kid together just for the sake of having a kid together," he kept his voice quiet.

I sighed because it used to be a thought that also crossed my mind. I have a long list of things I expect out of a relationship which has always led me to believe I'll be single forever. Toby is also so consumed in his work that he doesn't have time for relationships and dating.

"Yeah. It's crazy how things turned out," I admitted while looking down at her. I couldn't believe she is a product of a one night stand. As soon I found out I was pregnant I never for a second thought about not having her and I'm so happy that thought never crossed my mind because I can't imagine not having her. She's only been in this world for over a month, but I can't imagine a world without her.

"Is he good to you?" Toby switched the topic at hand and I sighed.

"It's complicated," I spoke under my breath. Whether Grayson is good to me or not, I'll be marrying him. We're entering into a contractual agreement with the intentions of it not just being an agreement, but that's all contingent on Grayson's ability to shift his priority from work to Amelia and I. He's been doing his best to do so and I have full faith in him. "But yes. As good as he can be. He's good," I assured him and he slowly nodded, taking his eyes away from Amelia.