The Life Of A Teenage Half-Vampire Part 36

"Sure looked like it to me," Cody scoffed. "What the hell does he want, anyway?"

"Me," I said bluntly. "And Isabelle. He wants to be a family." I rolled my eyes.

"Oh," Cody sighed. "Should've known he'd come back some day..."

I frowned.

"Yeah, well he can go back to wherever the hell he was before," I snapped. "I don't want him, and I don't love him."

"Yes, you do, Renesmee," Cody said thoughtfully. "You always will. You two shared a bond. And not just the fact that you got married, either. You loved him for eighteen years. Absolutely devoted your entire emotions to him. You conceived a child with him... a little girl that doesn't show any features of her father except for her black hair. You belong with him... how do you not see that?"

"I don't, Cody," I cried. "I threw a punch at him for insulting you! What does that tell you?"

"I didn't ask you to!" Cody snapped. "Look, Ness, I love you. Don't get me wrong, I love you more than anything else in the world. But you're an eighteen year old divorcée with a ten month old that could easily pass for a two year old. You're never gonna die... and I am. Jacob is immortal, like you. What would happen if we got married, had kids... and then I died whilst you and the kids lived on immortally?"

"I love you too..." I whispered. "I..."

I couldn't manage to get the words out. I was finding this day extremely stressful. I wanted Cody. I didn't want anyone else... at all! Jacob was a part of my past... exactly where I wanted him to stay.

"You could become immortal, too," I said hesitantly. I knew this was a stupid statement, but I had to try anyway.

"Are you kidding?!" he snarled. "I don't wanna be a vampire, Renesmee!"

Tears welled in my eyes.

"I wanna be with you, Cody," I sobbed softly. "I love you... can't you see that?"

"Nessie, we can't," he replied, his face stern. I could tell he was hiding his emotions, and would probably cry as soon as he left.

"I know that Jacob and I have a history," I said after a few minutes of awkward silence. "But that's it. Our relationship is in the past. And i don't love him... why can't you see that?"

"I want you to be happy, Nessie," Cody said, staring straight into my eyes. "I... if I died, Ness... how unhappy would you be then?"

I could see plain and clear that Cody had a point... so why was I so determined to fight him over it? He was human; I, however, was only half-human, and I would live forever. He would die, just like the normal circle of life. He understood it perfectly; we weren't matched together. I would match better with someone like me... a vampire, perhaps? I loved Cody, but I was beginning to see the truth.

"I... I just wish this was simpler," I sighed, tears still rolling down my eyes. "I... I... I..." I couldn't manage to speak my feelings. It was hard, after all, to say you were giving up on someone. Well, purely just because of who I was, anyway. I would prefer not to; we just didn't belong together.

"I know," Cody said, smiling a little bit.

"It just isn't fair," I whispered, my voice breaking. "I wish I was fully human, just for you."

Cody smiled. I couldn't stop the flow of tears that rolled down my face frustratingly. Cody walked toward me, giving me a hug. He kissed me on the cheek before he walked away. I broke down into an emotional mess, falling to my knees in the middle of the forest. I soon felt the presence of both of my parents; They finally got me up off the forest floor, and back to their cottage.

My future was in ruins... except for my daughter. Isabelle was the only thing that made sense.

Chapter Twenty-Eight... Getting Close To Jake Again

Jacob had been in town for almost a week now. It was less than three weeks until our big move, and the nerves were setting in. I hadn't seen Cody since that day in the forest, but Jacob was dropping by, visiting Isabelle every day.

The first day he came was eventful. Isabelle recognised him immediately, and ran over to him. But as he went to pick her up, she took a massive swing and slapped him across the face, hard. He yelped in pain, and she stood there, frowning. As soon as he went to punish her, she spoke. "Don't ever hurt mommy again!" she had shouted, before using a very naughty word that I wasn't sure where she'd heard it from before. I always forgot she was telepathic.

After a few days, Isabelle let Jacob bond with her. She didn't let me forget that she preferred Cody, though! Honestly, so did I, but I wasn't keen on spending my whole eternal life alone. And Jacob was immortal, too. We were perfectly matched... so why did I feel like I was forcing myself to talk to him, to love him? Probably because truthfully, I was.

I just didn't want to be alone.

It was probably selfish of me, but I wanted a father for Isabelle, and a lover for myself. It was hard, though, to try to love someone that you used to be married to... that you used to be close to.

My parents were less-than-thrilled to learn that Jacob had returned to town. Dad had to be held off from killing him; Jasper eventually managed to calm him down, though. Mom threatened to kill him if he ever hurt me again; the way he looked at her, I could tell he still loved her. Though I wasn't interested in him, my heart still sank. I wasn't keen on the idea of someone loving me in the same way they loved my mother.

By the end of the week, we had gotten used to Jacob's frequent drop-ins. Isabelle was still stern with him, but was gradually warming up to him. I didn't want her to hate her father because of what he did to me. It wasn't right. It wasn't right at all...