{Honey Bee} chapter 21

My pencil danced across the page in my sketchbook as I craned my head to the side to observe a  honey bee sitting  gently on a purple coneflower. My eyes focused on the bee and my hands scrambled to get the image of him sucking nectar from the flower down onto my page. As I was almost finished with sketching the body of the small insect my world suddenly turned to black.

"Guess who," someone said, in an atrocious Goofy impression. I peeled there clammy hands  from my face and spun around to glare at my idiotic father.

"Really?"

"What? He used to be your favorite character from that show... um... Mousy boy," he guessed, waving his hand dismissively in the air and taking a seat beside me. Mousy Boy? Not even close.

"Mickey Mouse," I corrected him, turning to face the bee again who had already disappeared and was onto his next flower. Where ever that was.

"Whatcha drawing," he asked, leaning over my shoulder to see.

"Well, I was trying to draw a honey bee, but due to someone covering my eyes he has sadly flown away," I glared, as I tried to remember where his stripes lay on his tiny body. Did they go here? Or there? 

"Wonder what kind of idiot would do that," he scoffed, then chuckled to himself. I set my pencil down onto the page and long dreary sigh.

"When are we going home," I asked in a low tone.  I have asked this question probably more times than I can count on one hand.

I was starting to feel drained.

The first couple of weeks I was ecstatic to be here. The forest outside the black cloud ( the dark building which we stayed in) was absolutely beautiful just like my father had vouched for.  It was where I spent most of my time; either running with my dad or drawing in my sketchbook.  I could not stand to be in that black cloud since the first day that I arrived here. Something about the place made me feel sick. For one thing, the building never seemed to get a glimpse of sunlight on it. It appeared forever surrounded in an everlasting darkness.

The three week trip turned into three more and then three more. I would constantly ask my dad when we would be going back to the pack, but I sensed him getting annoyed by my constant nagging so I dropped it. I missed my best friend, my idiot of a brother, and... mom.

More than anything I was alone in a place I knew nothing of. After the first few weeks my father seemed to become busy. I would only see him twice a day. Three if I was lucky. Most of the time it would only be at dinner or when we had to get our daily vaccination shots by Doctor Cohen.  It didn't make sense though. This was supposed to be a vacation.

He let out an exasperated sigh.  "You don't like it here anymore?"

I bit my lip and closed my sketchbook. "It's beautiful. The forest and everything, but dad it's been a couple months now. Don't you think it's time to return back to the pack? The pack members probably need you."

"I am sure that your mother and Vincent have it under control. Even though he's young he's smart. And your mother is a very organized woman. Something I have always adored about her. I don't doubt that the pack is doing just fine," he stated.

"Kiddo, I tried really hard to set up this little trip for us. It took months for me  to find this place because I know how particular you are with your scenery." He nudged my shoulder slightly.  "After much consideration I decided on this place. For you. For us.   I understand your worry, but I spoke to your mother a couple days ago and she said everythings just fine over there."