|| CHAPTER 33 ||

Mike came by the next day as he promised. The house wasn't ready, but it was certainly getting there. Everything went smoothly for the next couple of days. Maisie spend her time, planning the small party that Owen had promised her. She wrote down what cake she wanted, what decorations she wanted and what she wanted to do on the day. Claire helped with the practical things and the day before Maisie would turn 11, they went into the city. Just those two girls, after Owen insisted that they should take a girl's trip and that he wanted to work further on the house.

They walked around the city, gathering everything on Maisie's list. Claire even found some time to purchase the girl's birthday present, without her finding out what it was.

Pulling the car up in the driveway, they saw Owen crawling around on the roof. Maisie didn't pay much attention and went out to unload the car. Claire however got rather distracted seeing as Owen was shirtless, again. Sweating all over, with the son shining right at him. A knock on the window by Maisie, got her out of her daze and she realized she hadn't shut off the engine.

Both of them filled their arms and hands with everything they'd bought. Claire knew that they didn't need all of that, she was very aware that they had bought a lot of stuff they were never going to use. But she did it for Maisie, because it's Maisie and of course it's her first birthday with them.

They started baking the cake so it could be ready for the next day. Maisie helped a bit here and there but quickly got distracted by something or other. She even ran out a few times to see if she could help Owen with anything. Claire didn't mind that the girl couldn't focus on baking a cake for more than 10 minutes. She was a kid after all, with a lot of energy and fantasies. In that age, there's much more interesting stuff to explore than how the eggs mixes with the flour.

Owen joined them for dinner outside, which consisted of some take out Claire had brought home to heat up. As they ate, Owen mentioned that Claire had to go to the doctor soon and get it all started up. Agreeing, she told him she would research tonight and promised to have something figured out after Maisie's birthday. When Claire mentioned her name, she got reminded that there was something else they had to discuss and find a solution to. "Maisie, I don't want to bring down the mood or anything but we have to start looking at schools for you sweetie"

Neither Claire or Owen had mentioned school before, seeing as there had been too much going on. The need to get to know each other and get comfortable with each other, was bigger than Maisie getting to school. Those days were over now. Claire had fallen asleep thinking about Maisie's whole education situation, multiple times. Owen hadn't thought much about it and just kept it to himself until Claire figured it was time.

"School?" Maisie asked nervous. "I...I've never been to school before" She continued with her expression changing for the worst, every second. "Sweetheart don't panic" Claire said as she reached her hand out to touch her arm. Maisie swallowed the lump in the throat and looked up at Claire. "Maisie sweetie, I'm not saying that you're going to school tomorrow. What I am saying is that we have to start getting you used to this idea and figure something out" The girl didn't relax much by those words, she just crumbled into an almost sobbing mess. Claire couldn't take it. Trying to be strict and set rules and what not was hard when the child you were doing it for, had had a much different childhood than most kids. She pushed back her chair a little and carefully pulled at the girls arm to get her to come over. "Come here" Claire whispered, almost sobbing herself at this point. Maisie got up and quickly snuggled into Claire whose arms were wrapped tightly around the small form.

"Let's not talk more about this at the moment, I just felt like it was time to get it out in the open. I'm so sorry that it made you this upset Maisie sweetie, that wasn't my intention at all" Claire said close to a whisper against the girl's brunette hair.

Owen got up and took the empty boxes and plates with him on the way into the van. Staying inside to let his girls calm down in each other's arms.

Maisie came in not long after though and walked straight to the toilet. Owen looked after her retrieving form and went out to Claire after the door closed behind the girl. Slowly walking up behind her, putting his arms loosely around her neck he bent down to meet her lips. She gladly welcomed him and reached up to hold onto his arms. He moved his head to leave a last kiss in her hair before walking over to the house, gesturing for Claire to follow. And so, she did.

He walked around, showing her his progress while trying to paint a better picture for her. The stairs had been put in and he led her upstairs to show her the room. To the right, there was two rooms that Owen described as kids' rooms which made Claire smile. Then to the right there was a bathroom and another kids room, plus their master bedroom. "Which one is Maisie's then?" Claire asked as she looked around, taking it all in. "Which ever one she wants" He said and walked up behind her, wrapping his arms around her smaller frame and leaning down to be closer to her. His face right next to hers, whispering in her ear. That was until they heard a small voice call from outside. "MOM?" Claire yelled back. "IN HERE SWEETIE" and not 3 seconds later, they heard the small footsteps coming up the stairs.

She looked around and asked. "Where's my room?" Owen then let go of Claire, staying right behind her though as he pointed to the three rooms she could choose from. She slowly approached the two on the right and looked around a bit before walking over to the one on the left. Looking inside she gestured to the doorframe on her right side. "This is your guys' room then?" She asked with the tilt of her head. Owen nodded with a smile and Maisie turned to them. Pointing behind her she said. "I want this one, because it's closest to you guys" Claire smiled back at the girl and went over to give her a hug. Kissing her hair, she whispered. "I love you" over and over again while rocking them both back and forth.

Maisie started giggling and said. "I love you more mom" And started laughing for real. Claire leaned back, pretending to be offended. "You do what now? I don't believe that for a second young lady. If anyone loves anyone the most, it's me" She said, pointing at herself at the last part. Owen laughed a little behind her, leaning up against the wall. "No, I love you the most" Maisie said back with the biggest grin on her face. "No, I love you the most" Claire said trying to act serious. Before Maisie could continue their childish banter, Owen spoke up. "Hey listen" Walking up to them, as if he was about to scold them both. "I think we all know that I am the one who loves you both the most" He finished before reaching out and pulling both his girls into him.

All three of them started laughing and a thought popped into Maisie's mind. God was she lucky to have these two idiots in her life now.

I was lost at this chapter – Tried starting like 3 times but failed, then I finally got something but then I couldn't continue it and uuugghhhhhhhh the struggle. I ended up with this and it isn't the best which is why I decided to add a little fluffy family ending. :D

Hope ya liked it guys! Much love