|| CHAPTER 16 ||

"Not guilty"

Claire took a deep breath and could feel tears making their way to her eyes. Owen leaned forward and wrapped his arms around her shoulders, kissing her neck and ear and hair and basically any skin he could get to. He let go of his girl to let her hug their girl. Claire leaving kisses all around Maisie's hair and then one on her cheek. The girl had her arms wrapped around Claire's middle, clinging the woman to her.

"Now to the custody. It is very simple and to the point. Miss Dearing will be granted full custody of Maisie Lockwood" The other judge said before they all left behind their chairs. Claire turned in her seat, eyes meeting Maisie's before the girl jumped Claire and basically strangled her right there in the courthouse. Owen watched both his girls hug the life out of each other before Claire turned her head to place a hand on his cheek and a big fat passionate one to his lips.

"Miss Dearing, all the paperwork is done and ready, you just have to sign here" A nice lady said, who approached them as they left the hall. Taking the documents in her hands, Claire looked them over making sure it was the custody agreement. The lady handed Claire a pen and she signed it, handing back the now signed paper to the lady. She gave Claire a folder with the needed papers and things like passport and social security, that was saved from the manor. She then walked off after giving them all a smile.

Claire turned around and looked at Maisie. "You are all mine now sweetheart" She said with the biggest smile Owen had ever seen. Maisie started giggling and Claire reached down to pick Maisie up and spin her around. Owen watched in amusement, completely oblivious to how strong Claire actually was. Maisie wrapped her legs around Claire and buried her head in her new guardian's neck, as Claire held on to the girl with everything in her.

With both of his girls not paying any attention, Owen realized he could get a picture of this moment if he was fast enough. And fast enough he was, pocketing his phone when Claire started to put Maisie back down.

The girl still giggling her lungs out at Claire, asked. "So, are you my new mom?" Her look turned from utter happiness to serious in a matter of seconds. Standing there, smile still on her face but slowly fading a little when she realized what the girl had asked. Claire made some questionable noises before saying. "Only if you want me to be sweetie. I can still just be Claire to you and Owen can still just be Owen". Both adults nodded at each other because if she was going to call Claire mom, she would sure as hell call Owen dad as well. "Okay, so I can choose myself?" Maisie asked with a tilted head. "Yes sweetheart, you just call us what you feel like" Claire said with a big smile and her hand rubbing Maisie shoulder. "Okay...I'll think about it" Maisie said very serious, like it was a business situation.

But then again maybe it felt like it to the girl. She was now in another person's hands. Never really having had any real parents, it must feel like a very big thing to get to call someone mom and dad. They both understood her need to take her time.

Maisie rubbed her chin a bit and asked. "Can we get something to eat now?" Both Claire and Owen nodded and Maisie reached for Claire's hand and tugged her out of the door. Owen following closely behind, laughing as he shook his head in amazement. This girl.

They let Maisie decide where she wanted to go and even tho the city was filled with amazing restaurants and expensive buffets and so on. The girl being as nice and considerable as she was, chose a small diner. A little hole in the wall in the big city.

They ate, talked, laughed and celebrated and Claire ordered cake for them. Again, Maisie ate so much of it, you wouldn't think she was a little skinny 10 year old. "Sorry" She said with a shy smile that made both adults on front of her laugh. "Hey don't apologize, I bought it to get eaten, not looked at. You really have a huge appetite" Claire said with a laugh. Owen's arm around her shoulders and her body leaning into his.