xxxii. the secret

Start from the beginning

"Yes."

"Alright. Can I have my book back?"

"No." Amora lifted the book high above her head. "Promise me that you will not spoil the book for me and I will give this back."

"My arms are longer than yours, Amora." He shifted closer, feeling his smirk stretch into a genuine grin.

"Promise me," she insisted, leaning farther back and stretching her arm as far as she could.

With a sigh, Loki said, "I promise."

However, before the last syllable even left his lips, he wrapped one arm around Amora, drawing her closer, and used the other to reach the extended book. His smiled faltered, though, when his fingers fell through their mark. The book disappeared from Amora's grasp in a flash of green light.

As Loki blinked in disbelief at his empty, outstretched hand, Amora started laughing into his chest. Her shaking form leaned into his chest as she fought to catch her breath. Loki could have stopped time then and relived that moment for eternity, and he would be perfectly happy. Everything seemed forgotten and unimportant as he held her, listening to her laugh.

Finally calm, Amora drew back just enough to look up at him, a grin on her face. The expression faltered slightly, softening as her eyes focused on his face. Loki's heart began to beat faster as her gaze searched his face openly, taking in every feature.

And he let her see everything.

The way he longed to keep her this close. The way she tore him apart while, at the same time, keeping him together. The fierceness that burned through him and the softness that was reserved for a select few.

Everything that the Silvertongue could not put into words.

And somehow, she did not pull away.

With an almost hesitant hand, Loki reached up and tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear. He felt her breath stop, stilling the air between them. Both were motionless, afraid to break the moment.

Steeling himself, Loki cradled the back of her head in his hand and leaned down. Her fingers gently wrapped around his arm. His heart practically burst out of his chest as his lips brushed against hers.

At that moment, the barest of lights shown on the other side of the cell and the two leaped apart. Loki's book reappeared in his lap and Amora barely managed to open hers in a casual position before the queen's form was fully visible.

Frigga smiled at the two. The light in her eyes shifting to amusement at the red tinge on both sorcerers' cheeks as they avoided her gaze. "I am sorry to interrupt, but I must speak to Amora for a moment."

Casting Loki a confused look, Amora swung her legs over the side of the sofa and put her shoes back on. "Of course, Frigga," she said, nodding.

"Meet me in the Hall of Yggdrasil," Frigga said. Her gaze flickered between the two as a soft smile graced her features. "No hurry."

After her image disappeared, Loki suddenly felt his face grow hot. Fortunately, Amora was behind him, retrieving her satchel. He shifted uncomfortably on the sofa, listening to the sound of her rustle through her bag. What should he do now? What should he say?

It was not like he could pretend that whatever had almost happened had never happened. They had already done that too many times.

When Amora's shuffling stopped, Loki froze, hearing her footsteps approach to pass by. His mind raced for a proper comment, something more than a simple goodbye.

A hand fell on his shoulder. Loki looked up only to be met with the feeling of Amora's lips pressed softly against his. He barely had time to react before she drew away.