v. the disturbance

A M O R A

The next day, Amora bustled around the healing halls, trying to keep herself busy. Any moment of stillness would allow her to fall into her thoughts.

She had been somewhat proud of her performance in Loki's presence even though part of her still feared that he was through her aloof mask. He was the prince of lies, after all.

However, even though her initial visit was successful, there was still the matter of his treatment. Vanna was obviously ill-suited for the job, but Amora did not think it would be wise to take the position herself.

Part of her said that she was the only healer that could at least attempt to control him, but the other part seemed to think back on her earlier statement. I'm done waiting.

Amora wanted to say that her statement was solely based on a lack of patience for the trickster, but she knew what the true reason was: she was afraid. Even when there was still a remnant of the old Loki remaining, he had left her to chase revenge. Now, how could she trust a man that she hardly recognized?

I will just recommend another healer to treat him, she reasoned, only feeling somewhat reassured by her plan.

In an attempt to maintain normalcy, Amora shared a quick lunch with her apprentice when it was finally time for their break.

"But when can I go to the dungeons with you?" Ana implored, her blue eyes wide and pleading.

Swallowing a bite, Amora gave a heavy sigh in mock exasperation, "Oh, you are impossible," but she then offered an encouraging smile. "When you're ready."

The young blonde immediately scrambled for her assigned holopad, her fingers flying across the screen. "I have already passed my necessary benchmarks--most of the other apprentices can barely handle a vial of common medicine--and you've already let me diagnose and treat a few patients."

Amora looked over the information that had been pushed to her face even though she was the one who wrote most of the reports. She gave the device back and spoke carefully, "Yes, but the dungeons are completely different than the healing halls. These are not clumsy workers and stubborn soldiers; these are enemies of Asgard."

She sighed and placed a hand on Ana's. "I do not want you to get hurt. You will get to go one day, but not right now."

Ana stayed silent for a moment, the disappointment in her eyes wore at Amora's resolve. Suddenly, the light in the young girl's eyes ignited and she leaned across the table.

"Can you teach me how to fight?" she asked in an excited whisper, "You won't have to worry about me if I can defend myself."

Looking away, the brunette hesitated. Ana had become like a little sister and Amora dreaded the thought of losing her like she did Lorelei.

I will not let her go astray like Lorelei. I will not let her down. She thought before finally nodding. "Very well."

The squeal that escaped Ana nearly made Amora jump as the girl practically lunged from her seat to wrap the brunette in a tight embrace.

A rich laugh sounded from nearby as Ana released Amora and an deep voice said amusedly, "Well, it looks like someone is happy."