viii. the breach

L O K I

Loki knew that his boredom had reached new heights when he started looking forward to the guards' visits. At first, their stops to taunt him fulfilled their intent to aggravate him to no end.

However, now that he no longer remained silent, he would often end their battle of wits as the victor. Watching them sulk off in defeat or bewilderment had become quite entertaining.

But today, the guards chose a new topic: Amora.

Apparently, her visit yesterday was still on Endrik's mind as he shared his newest plan to woo her. Normally, such talk would infuriate Loki, but after seeing the discreet eye rolls that Amora gave in response to Endrik's compliments, he found the guard's hopes simply humorous.

"Do you really think you have a chance with Amora?" Loki calmly interrupted the man's overly-detailed explanation, amusement dancing in his eyes.

Endrik scoffed. "I have a better chance than you."

Loki's face instantly darkened as the guard continued, "You may have once held her favor, but you lost it so spectacularly, you'll never get it back."

A few objects in Loki's cell began to tremble, but Endrik gave no notice to that or the prisoner's clenched fists.

"But I do not have that problem," he said, turning to his fellow guard, "What of you, Skurge? Will I have to compete with you, as well, over the lady?"

The bald soldier's eyebrows rose. "Oh no. Not me," he said, looking somewhat uncomfortable.

"Oh, come on," Endrik pressed, "I know how you are with the ladies. What happened to my friend that used to chase down ever woman he saw?"

"I just have no wish to pursue a betrothed woman," the rattling objects in the cell stilled at his words, "especially one betrothed to a close friend of mine."

"Theoric will never know," Endrik said, clapping a hand on Skurge's shoulder.

But Loki was no longer paying attention to the pair. It was as if his mind had become detached from the moment, wandering aimlessly as it attempted to absorb this knew information.

Amora is betrothed.

This should fill him with rage, hatred, but now he only felt empty. Loki had always despised Theoric for his place in Amora's life. Theoric was the threat, the competition. But if one competitor falls out of the running, is it really a competition anymore?

And Endrik was right; Loki had fallen so "spectacularly", there was no recovery.

No. Loki was not angry. Anger would suggest loss, and loss suggests that there was a chance at receiving. He knew that there was no chance for him.

The confirmation of this only left him hopeless.

"Ah, and here she is," Endrik drew Loki out of his reverie, looking down the hall.

The two guards walked to greet the healer, leaving Loki's line of sight. He almost turned away to ignore the greetings and Endrik's indiscreet flirting, but a new voice caught his attention.