xxxii. the secret

L O K I

Loki and Amora had not spoken a word to each other. A long silence had fallen between the two.

He sat back on the sofa, contently reading a new novel that Amora had brought for him. Glancing over, he felt a smirk grow on his face. She read her book with such intensity, holding it so close to her face that Loki could only see her eyes over the cover. The sorceress sat with her back propped against the armrest and her knees up in front of her. Her cold toes were just barely tucked under Loki's leg.

Following Theoric's death, Amora had distanced herself from Loki, lessening her visits to the weekly medical checks that were required. She had initially explained that she did not want to betray Theoric's memory. Loki also remembered how the healer that had replaced Amora during her absence had asked pointed questions about their trip together. There were undoubtedly rumors about their time spent together.

But in the past few months since then, Amora had started visiting more regularly. When she first came unscheduled, Amora had a book in hand and said that the royal librarian had kicked her out of the library, saying that she "needed to spend her free time seeking potential suitors". She often came with new books and news of the still ongoing battles in Vanaheim.

It was peaceful, and Loki found himself content; his cell had grown dark without Amora's visits.

A sharp gasp shattered the peace and Loki felt Amora recoil from him. His head shot up and he turned to her, adrenaline sending his heart pounding. "What is--"

Amora shushed him sharply, her eyes never straying from the pages of her book. Loki breathed a slight sigh of relief as he calmed, and a laugh bubbled out of him. He knew what book she was reading; it was one that he had read several times during his incarceration. So he could make a fair guess at what part she was on.

He leaned over to peek at what page she was on. "Is--"

"Wait." Amora did not look up as she put a hand on Loki's face and pushed him away. After a moment of silence, she put the book down and gawked at Loki. "I can not believe--"

"That she would betray them?"

"Yes!" Amora exclaimed, her brows furrowed, "She had always fought for them, risking her life for them!"

"It's alright, Amora," Loki began, his voice alight with amusement.

"No, it is not," she said, "They were supposed to be happy."

"They're experiencing the end of their world and most of their loved ones have died," Loki said wryly.

"I know, but still!"

She sat back with a huff, crossing her arms and shaking her head as she frowned with a distant look in her eye. Loki twisted his lips; he had introduced Amora to this book, hoping that she would enjoy it.

"Do you like the book?" Loki asked hesitantly.

"Of course," Amora gushed, hugging the book to her chest, "It is wonderful! I love the characters and..." She glanced away and shrugged. "I respect the author's bold choice. It just hurts me at the moment."

Loki chuckled. "It's not near as bold as what happens later when--"

"No." Suddenly, a force shoved Loki and stripped the book from his grasp. Amora sat back against the armrest, balancing his book in her hand.

"Don't. You. Dare," Amora said lowly, motioning with the book.

Loki felt a smirk grow on his face. "Are you threatening me?"