Breathe

Alexander has a girlfriend. Alexander has a girlfriend. Alex couldn't explain the excitement, and slight nausea, he had. He was dating Elizabeth Schuyler! The most popular girl in school! The girl he's had a crush on since seventh grade!

Not only was he dating her, they had kissed. Alexander didn't feel anything like the tingle that most soulmates get, but that was okay. Alex was so happy, he was shaking. "I'll be right back," he whispered to his girlfriend. He'd never get use to that word.

Alexander slipped out of the cafeteria and made his way to the restroom. He quickly walked to the sink and pulled up his shirt sleeves, gathering some of the icy water in his cupped hands and splashing it on his face. He took a deep breath and went to dry off his face and hands with some paper towels.

And then he saw it.

Small and written in black ink. On his right wrist. The letter E. His eyes widened. E. His vision tunneled. E. His head, and stomach, reeled. E E E E E E E.

Who was E? It had to have been Eliza. Her name starts with E, right? For a second he thought about that one stupid meme, but he pushed that thought aside. Alexander dried off his face and hands. He paced around the bathroom a bit before taking a deep breath and heading outside.

He wandered back into the cafeteria, in some what of a daze. e. e. E. E. E. He had to check Eliza's arm. He had to see if they were soulmates. If they were, perfect! If they weren't, he'd still stay with her. Hopefully his soulmate moves on. "Hey Liza," he purred, holding onto her hand.

Alexander sneakily studied both of her arms. Nothing. The only thing in her wrist was the little dark brown mole that she's always had. Alex started shaking a bit, but not out of happiness. Luckily, the bell rang. He planted a light kiss on Eliza's cheek. "I gotta go to fourth period," he said, smiling as kindly as he could. "I'll see you at sixth?"

Elizabeth nodded. "Sixth." Alex let go of her hand and stood up, grabbing his backpack and rushing out of the cafeteria. As soon as he made it to fourth period, he grabbed a pen, took his millionth deep breath since that day had started, and began shakily writing two simple words.

God, what was he doing?