chapter three || ii

[ word count : 4,266 ]

Eggs hatch.

For a minute, we all just gape at each other. It would be comical if, well, OBVIOUSLY.

It hits me how close I stand to it. Choking, I stumble back, grab a random chair for support.

My movement provides the catalyst for their panic. A chorus of yelps and curses arises, and they launch into motion.

"What do we even do?" Aria's voice shakes as she paces through the room.

Dizzy rips her hands through her hair. "We should've stayed home."

The floor wavers underneath me—maybe I should sit down—my breath comes too fast—

Backed against the wall, April studies the egg, her eyes wild. "We have to smash it."

"No!" Dizzy shrieks.

Horror slants across Aria's face. "Are you insane?"

Deadpanning, April lifts her hands in surrender. Looks at me, one eyebrow raised. "I don't mean to push you out of your comfort zone, Cecil, but you're gonna have to start engaging in these kind of conversations."

I roll my eyes, force myself to approach the table. "I mean, obviously don't kill it. It didn't do anything wrong." I inspect the egg. It's not that big, maybe half the size of the box. No more than a foot tall. "But it can't stay in Solada. Not here. There's no telling what it could do." Images of death and destruction throughout the Gamma flash through my mind.

"Do you really think it'll survive that long?" Aria asks.

"Hard to say," Dizzy speaks up. "We don't even know what's in there. Dragon, drake, wyvern. Wyrm, maybe."

"Why would he even bring this here?" Aria shakes her head in bewilderment. "What could he possibly hope to accomplish?"

"In case you haven't noticed," April says lightly, "Zion's a goddamn psychopath."

Aria's hair whips to the side as she shoots April an exasperated frown. Her face says that she can't disagree, but she doesn't like April's tone. I think it's a feeling everyone experiences when associated with April Malaan.

The egg twitches.

A crack fractures along the surface.

Frantic, I look to April. "Plan?"

Her brow creases with anxiety. "Wouldn't hurt to try the exits again."

We launch into action, April and I taking the door closest to the entrance.

"Cut her some slack," I mutter under my breath.

"Yeah, I'm sure that'll get her everywhere in life." April shoves her shoulder against the door, curses. "No change."

I don't know why I even try with this girl. I get down on my hands and knees to peer under the door. Not even a sliver of light. We're completely closed off.

April alerts Dizzy and Aria to our discovery as I get to my feet. I turn toward the table—

Just in time to see the egg splinter, revealing a twist of blue. It unfurls, extends long, angular legs. Stretches glittering wings lined with purple veins. Arches a thin, graceful neck, raises a diamond of a head crowned by two curved horns.