chapter one || ii

[ word count : 2,773 ]

My excitement was fleeting, as it always is.

The panel slides open, revealing blue sky and trees. I step onto lush grass, glittering buildings looming in front of me. I stand on the edge of the beach, staring into the heart of the Alpha Sector. Laughter on the wind, the rumble of eco-friendly transports and trams through the streets. Overhead, cable cars create an intricate web, casting dappled shadows along the pavement. People whizz past on the walkways, oblivious to the one underneath the grass where I stand. Bright colors pop out from clothes, buildings, signs, private transports.

I enter the Alpha Sector, enter work-mode. Just to spite my father, today I'll focus on the north regions. I snap pictures of work projects under construction, of the people, of prices in stores, of the traffic. I collect data on the quality of life here, checking stats on my holo for accuracy. I make notes on which areas the sector could improve upon. In the Alpha Sector, my anonymity is contingent only on whether or not there are other critical thinkers here who long for the kinds of changes I plan to make. I can only hope I don't stand out as much as I think I do around here. As an extra precaution, I put on a brighter version of my mask. The one that smiles with bright eyes and takes in the city with satisfaction, often distant boredom.

I check in the news about the crime rates. In this sector, I can asks the guards questions if I want to. Most of my time is devoted to the Azurdins' conditions. When no one's looking, I slip some my contact information to conduct private interviews. I snap pictures of Azurdins out shopping or running errands for their overseers, comparing their expressions to those of the unmarked. Almost matching, except for the slight forced aspect of the Azurdins' smiles. I believe that I've captured the moment they catch themselves wishing for more, for better, and quickly force it away on the grounds that they should be content with the treatment they receive here instead of the other sectors.

In the Alpha Sector, they're almost treated like people. More like conveniences.

I jot down a note about this specifically, then check my holo for a route to one of the manufacturing plants here. They always stand at the bridges between the sectors, eighteen in total. The three in the north region of the Alpha purify water, mass produce clothing material, and manufacture food from the west Gamma. All the workers in the factories are either Azurdins or mulattos. Most of my information on the Azurdins' treatment comes from these places.

First I survey the water processing plant, using the same methods of gathering data. Trying for interviews. Hiding out of sight to record footage of the abusive overseers. Capturing photos of the workers in action. Making notes on the work conditions they have to endure.

Repeat for the other two plants.

By the time I've finished, it's eleven o'clock as I head to the bridges, the roar of the river beckoning me. On the way, I snack to keep my strength up. The platform structured over the rapids looms into view.

I ride the escalator (God forbid anyone here climb actual stairs) up to the top of the platform. After purchasing a ticket to the center of the Beta Sector, I wait for next batch of transports to open up. The tracks for the vehicles stretch before me, five in total. For the first four hundred feet, they're parallel, then branch off individually, sloping toward the ground. One track follows the bridge, then turns about a mile from the Barricade, taking the riders to the Gamma Sector.

A few minutes later, my number is called. I hop in the back of my assigned transport along with two girls and two guys, all a few years older than me. They appear to be friends, joking and laughing and threatening to push each other onto the tracks.