«I'm not at all surprised.» Wire commented.

«Anyway,» Killer said, cutting it short «we decided that you'll rotate between lookout duty and helping the doctor, since you have some basic knowledge and strong Observation haki.»

«Fine.» you shrugged, standing up and moving some stuff to the sink.

«Today you're on the lookout.»

«Okay.»

Getting out of the room, you passed beside Kid, and your arm brushed his shoulder.

He didn't move or say anything, but he had a relaxed expression on his usually storming face.

After closing the door behind you, you headed towards the mast.

«It's not your fault if you don't fit in the Marines, but fit in this crew.»

It was hard to accept, but Killer was right. Every moment you spent among those pirates was the confirmation of it.

Never once you had been so comfortable around other marines.

At that point, it was also impossible to deny you had some sort of feelings for the redhead.

The only problem was: how much of that was true and how much was the product of the situation?

Falling for your captor was a pathological thing. Could you call those feelings real? How could you be sure it wasn't going to change once freed? After all, he was the one and only man who ever touched you.

With a sigh, you climbed the mast till the crow's nest.

A recruit shared the shift with you.

For the following few hours, your gaze wandered lost in the wide sea, while the young pirate occasionally peered at you, a nervous light in his clear eyes.

«I don't bite, ya know.»

«You kinda bit captain Kid.»

Oh yeah, I did.

«He deserved it. Don't give me a reason and you don't have to worry.»

«Yessir.»

You scoffed.

«Don't. I'm a prisoner, not your superior.»

«Maybe officially. But you mess with my bosses, dine with the top ranks, insult the first mate, bite the captain...» he grimaced «I mean, if anyone else did that, I don't wanna know what would happen to them.»

Your mouth twitched.

«True. What can I say, I'm awesome.»

«No, you're scary.» he mumbled, earning a chuckle from you.

Your haki tingled.

«Hey, pass me that telescope.»

He obeyed and you inspected the horizon.

«There's a ship right ahead of us.» you stated, throwing the telescope back at him.

He observed in the pointed direction, frowning.

«I can't see shit.»

«Because it's far. A black dot over the line of the sea.»

«How can you say it's a ship? Could be an atoll, it's too far away.»

«Trust me.»

You climbed over the hatch that leaded to the lookout post, outside, above the crow's nest.