11) The start of something

I'm an atom in a sea of nothing
Looking for another to combin
Maybe we could be the start of somethin
Be together at the start of time

(Gabrielle Aplin – Start of Time)

The second she stirred, he was awake.

They had returned in the evening, going to bed relatively early, exhausted from the journey and the training, and if he was being honest, emotionally drained too. Matt had taken a shower before going to bed, for one simple reason he hadn't shared; he had wanted her to be asleep when he would join her, cowardly waiting in the shower until then.

He had climbed to bed as quietly as he could, slowly curling up against Vera's back, afraid he would wake her up and she would keep her distance – or worse, that she would retreat even subconsciously. She hadn't. She had shifted a little closer and Matt had thought he would cry and smile like an idiot at the same time. She might have just wanted to be warmer – he hadn't cared for the reason and focused on stopping himself from kissing her temple, arguing himself into sleep.

Even when sleeping, it was in the back of his mind that they were together in their bed, that Vera was in his arms again – he panicked when she was leaving them now, the motion making him snap his eyes open and all muscles tense.

"Sorry," she muttered. "Go back to sleep."

Matt obediently closed his eyes, but that never stopped him from seeing things. His senses were laser focused on her, every move, every yawn. It was probably creepy as hell, but he needed to know everything and if anything hinted him she was about to leave – not to work, but leave – he had to stop her no matter what.

She was putting on her sweatshirt when her heartbeat picked up. He stopped himself from jerking to his feet; she had told him to go back to sleep, so that would look rather bad. She shifted her weight, wavering, before she slid the bedroom door open. That could wake him up, right? Enhanced senses.

"Matt?" she breathed hesitantly and he hummed sleepily instead of an answer. She cleared her throat awkwardly.

"Can I... uhm. Can I-" she licked her lips and Matt blinked, sitting up slowly, curious and honestly concerned about her increasing heartbeat. "Duh. Can I have the ring back?"

He almost fell from their bed at the question.

Vera wanted her engagement ring back. His brain froze while the rest of his body got overwhelmed by a tsunami of delight. She wanted-

"I... I really don't want people asking questions," she explained and there was no single hint of a lie in her voice. The air got knocked out of him, brutal punch to his solar plexus, shot right through his heart.

Right. Of course. Awkward questions. People would ask about the missing ring; it would make her uncomfortable. It had nothing to do with her moving from 'probably no' or 'maybe' to 'yes'. Why did he even hope? It was ridiculously soon for that. Stupid, naïve, pathetic.

"Uhm, you don't have to— it was just a question. A stupid one. Sorry-" she babbled, apologizing and apparently taken aback by his silent reaction and Matt finally left his pity party.

"No! I mean— yes. Of course." He jumped to his feet, pacing to the hanger where he had left his jacket.

Vera followed him, her pulse jumping when he reached for it, pulling the small box out; but she didn't say a word. And because he was a jerk, he didn't hand her the box – instead, he took the ring out, taking a step to her. Her gulp was very loud, her heart hammering against her ribcage.