6) What I didn't need to know

Laurel's POV with a switch to Felicity's. Balancing all the testosterone around. 

---

Her day was crazy. She hadn't taken a moment to breathe in properly since morning, a half-drank mug of cold coffee somewhere between the stock of papers – weren't they living in the digital age? – her phone ringing off the hook. She couldn't resist and banged her forehead against one of the pile, when the phone rang again and no one was around.

Had everyone gone completely insane? At least this time it was her phone. She didn't even check the ID.

"Laurel Lance speaking."

"Hey, sis. Something tells me you need a hero to take you to lunch," Sara's cheerful voice sounded from the other end of the line and Laurel smiled automatically. Despite all the shit her sister had been through... she could have warmth and joy in her voice when it came to people she cared for.

Laurel didn't know why Sara had come back yesterday just yet, but she was grateful. Maybe she would learn today, since there would be no more surprises like a stranger at Oliver's secret base. Her smile faltered slightly as she remembered the girl – looking at her when the team left, she seemed exhausted, not just physically. Laurel hadn't learnt many details, but Felicity had mentioned calling off an engagement with her vigilante boyfriend and him almost dying. That was rough. The fact she had been attacked somewhere where she was supposed to be save probably hadn't helped.

"Laurel?"

"Sorry, sorry. Yes. I'm zoning out, I'm no good here anyway."

"Waiting outside," Sara announced and Laurel rolled her eyes, grinning.

"Of course you are."

They walked – Laurel needed to stretch her legs a little and she needed as long lunch break as possible, because otherwise she would go crazy in work. And ever since they had somehow solved out the awkward and painful love triangle, spending time with Sara was the bright part of her life.

Laurel was just complaining about the jerk who was calling her today just to keep pranking her – because that was what she had time for, right – when she saw the man. He was standing in front of the bakery across the street, pulling out a phone from the pocket of his coat. There was no reason for that catching her attention, unless she was an ableist; he was holding a long white cane, his eyes hidden behind round red glasses, which probably meant he was blind. But he looked familiar.

Laurel didn't like secrets and mysteries, she hated the feeling of having something on the tip of her tongue, unable to grasp it. She stopped dead in her tracks, shamelessly staring. Where did she know him from? She really hated being an ableist, but the fact he was blind was the only significant feature she was sure of. Blind, blind, blind...

"Laur-"

"Oh," Laurel let out, shocked. She did know him. From her time at Columbia University, where she had spent two months thanks to her exchange scholarship. She would never expect him to meet him here of all places. "Matt?"

She would swear the man winced as she said his name, Sara following her gaze. "Laurel? You okay?"

There was no way she was letting him flee. She grabbed Sara's hand, fighting her way through to him. He was still on the phone, not talking, only frowning – whatever the other person was saying, he didn't like it. The closer she was getting to him, the more sure she was. Yes, this was the very man she had met during her time at Columbia. The charming man she had had a crush on for like a month. And then they had kissed and she had been head over heels. First guy after Oliver – well, after Tommy – that actually enchanted her. It hadn't lasted – but it was what helped her to move on.