chapter twenty-five.

b e n n y

Baseball is my life. Well, so I thought. I never expected her to become my entire world. I know that we're only 18 years old, but I can see myself being with her until the end. She makes me so incredibly happy.

The ball felt right in my hands. It felt as if it was meant to be there. It felt right when I threw it to my teammate, Carter. Baseball felt right to me and I never wanted that feeling to fade or leave me.

"Rodriguez!"

"Yeah, Coach?" I asked, jogging up to him.

He tapped his clipboard, "You're pitcher tomorrow,"

"Really?"

"Yeah. You've earned it," he said.

"Thanks Coach! I really appreciate the opportunity!" I said, smiling like an idiot.

"If you do well tonight, then you'll be going to Texas next week with the team to train for the summer," he said, walking to the dugout.

My eyes went big, "You're joking, right?"

"You'll do great, kid." He laughed and told us to go home.

I grabbed my bag, my water bottle, and my hat. My mom was waiting for me in the car with a frown on her face. What could be wrong? Is it dad? Grandma or grandpa? Kelsey?!

I got in the car, throwing my bad in the back seat, "Mom, what's wrong?"

"It's your grandma. She's sick, very sick,"

"Will she be okay?"

"We don't know. You're father and I are going to Mexico to see her,"

"I want to go," I said, turning to look at her.

She smiled sadly at me, "I want you to come too, but you have baseball. You need to focus on that right now, sweetie,"

"Family is way more important than baseball, mom. Besides, maybe I can talk to coach and see if he'll let me miss a couple practices," I explained.

"What about Kelsey?" she asked.

"I'll ask her to come with us! School ends this week and then we graduate! It'll be an end of year trip,"

"Then I guess you and Kelsey are coming with us to Mexico,"

I just smiled.

friday, 11:37 p.m.

Kelsey sat on my lap as we all sat in Ham's basement. We were laughing, drinking, and just having an amazing night. This was the perfect way to end the school year.

I took a sip of my wine cooler, turning to look at Kelsey. She was looking at the ground with her drink in her hand, but it was untouched. The sound of the boys laughing really hard took my attention from her, but Veronica walked over to her and took her outside.

Smalls frowned, "Is Kelsey okay?"

"I don't know. Let me go check," I said.

I walked outside to see my girlfriend in complete and utter tears. Veronica rubbed her back, trying to soothe her.

"Baby. You okay?" I asked.

"She's fine," Veronica answered.

"She doesn't seem fine,"

V glared at me, "Well, maybe you would've saw it soon if your only focus wasn't just on baseball,"

"What's that suppose to mean?"

"Nothing," Kelsey whispered.

What the hell was going on?

I mean sure baseball was major part of my life, but so was she! She's my girl, for crying out loud! I wouldn't ever do anything to hurt her. The girls been through enough already.

"Baby-"

"What makes you think that she wants to hear your shitty excuses?" V asked.

I ran my hand through my hair, "Just let me fix whatever I did!"

"You didn't do anything, Benny. I'm just being a sensitive girl," Kelsey spoke.

"No you're not, K," V frowned, giving her a hug.

"Can you let Benny and I talk?," she asked.

Veronica smiled and went inside, leaving me all alone with my girlfriend.

"What's going on, baby? You know I love you, right?" I said and grabbed her face in my hands.

"I know," she said.

"What's wrong? Did I do something? I'm
so sorry if I did, princess!" I spoke.

She giggled, "You're fine! You didn't do anything wrong. I promise,"

"Then what's wrong? Did someone else do something? I'll kick their ass!"

"No, not exactly. I was going to apply to L.A. University, but I was too late. The deadline had already passed by the time I went,"

"I've been doing some thinking lately. New York is where you need to be. You can write your heart out, live in a small shoe box apartment, and drink coffee on your balcony. That's what you should be doing next fall,"

"But, what about us?"

I smiled down at her, "If we break up, then we break up, but we still have the summer. I love you, Kelsey. If losing you means that your dreams will come true, then I'd do that it. It would hurt like hell, but I know it's what your dad would've wanted,"

"Benny. I don't wanna lose you," she whispered.

"I don't wanna lose you either, baby girl, but if we're meant to be then we'll find each other again," I said, pulling into my arms.

I pressed my lips to hers, my arms still wrapped around her. She ran her hands through my hair and kissed back with equal force, if not more.

"I love you," I said, pulling away.

She smiled, "I love you too,"

"So, how does Mexico sound?"

a/n: hello babies !! i'm finally back. i know that i was gone for a really long time and i'm sorry for that, but i'm back now. ik that this chapter was kinda boring, but i really wanted to update for you guys. the next one will be them going to mexico, but that's all i'm gonna say 😉 thank you for all the love and support on this book. it just hit 17.50k reads!! my mind is blown. i'm so thankful. thank you for sticking with me and more always reading my chapters (even if they are shitty 😂) leave some comments on what you'd like to see happen. i love you all so much that it hurts. stay strong, beautiful, and fierce 💛
-kelsey