chapter thirteen.

k e l s e y

I try my best to be the perfect person. I try so fucking hard. I try to be the perfect friend, the perfect sister, the perfect daughter.

Yet, I end up failing.

My relationship with Benny was the one thing I wanted to last forever. It was the one thing that made me so happy, but his dreams needed to be more important than us.

"Just talk to him Kels," Yeah-Yeah said as he bit into his sandwich.

"No. I can't do that," I told him.

My best friend rolled his eyes at me and took another bite out of his sandwich.

"Why not?"

"His dreams should be way more important than me. My dad told me to always put your dreams and happiness before others. He said that your dreams will never hurt you like people will,"

"That's deep as fuck,"

I giggled at his statement. This why Yeah-Yeah was my best friend. He always knew how to make me smile and how to make me laugh. I mean all the boys were my best friends, along with V, but Yeah-Yeah stood out above them all.

"But, for real Kelsey. Benny is hurting so bad and he won't even talk to us about it. He won't talk that much or even blink. He just stares at the wall and cries silently." Yeah-Yeah kissed my head before leaving.

I thought about what Yeah-Yeah said all night. I kept replaying what he said over and over again in my head. I couldn't shake the feeling that I made a huge ass mistake.

friday's game

I walked over to the bleachers to see about 6 college scouts sitting next to one another. They had out pads of paper and pens. One even had Benny's picture in the paper from when he saved Small's ass over the summer.

"Hey Kelsey!" I looked up and saw Ham waving me over. They were sitting a couple rows above the scouts.

"Hey guys," I said, approaching them.

"How's Benny doing?" I asked and looked at Benny as he was warming up.

The boys were silent for a moment.

"He's nervous as hell," Smalls answered.

"Is he okay?"

"No,"

I rushed off the bleachers and ran to the dugout. All the boys were laughing, talking, and drinking their waters. But, Benny was sitting there bouncing his knee up and down, out of nervousness.

"5 minutes boys," their coach said.

Benny ran out of the dugout and to the bathroom. I followed him to see him throw up. I winced at the sound of him puking his guys out.

"Benny," I whispered. He looked up and his chocolatey, brown eyes met my green ones.

"Kelsey, what are you doing here? Especially in the boys bathroom?" he asked.

"I had to come see you. The boys said that you were nervous as fuck. I just wanted to come make sure that you were okay," I explained, biting my bottom lip.

He looked at me for a long moment, then popped a piece of mint flavored gum into his mouth.

"I thought we were "done" as a couple Kelsey,"

"I still care about you Benny. I always will care about you,"

"Do you love me?" he asked. I blinked at him, suddenly becoming nervous.

"I-I, uh, don't know what you're talking about," I said.

"Cut the fucking bullshit Kelsey. I know that you love me. I know because we had sex. We had amazing sex and you are too scared to admit that you love me." He gripped my hips in his hands.

"I-I,"

"You love me," he whispered.

"I'm scared to love Benny! My father died, my brother is at college, and my mother married a fucking beater who's drunk all the damn time! I'm sorry that I don't really know what love is anymore!"

He wiped my fallen tears away and kissed my forehead.

"I'm sorry," I mumbled.

"You know how to love baby. You know how to love the hell out of people. You showed me what love is princess and I'll never forget that,"

I stared into his eyes and felt at home. I felt so much happiness as soon our eyes connected and as soon as that smile of his, crept onto his face.

"I love you," I said.

"I love you too baby girl." He kissed my lips, softly caressing my cheek.

"By the way, we weren't really broken up. 2 days doesn't count as a fucking break up," he said. I couldn't help but laugh at my cute ass boyfriend.

"Go win your game." I kissed him before skipping out of the boys bathroom.

i love benny rodriguez.

a/n: wow look at me. i've updated twice in one week. that's a miracle lmao. hello babies. i hope you are all doing well bc i love you all so much. btw WE ARE CLOSE TO 3k. thank you guys for the endless love and support. i am so blessed and thankful for ya'll. stay strong, beautiful, and fierce 🖤
-kg