chapter twenty-two.

k e l s e y
Watching old couples was a thing I enjoyed,
not to sound like a creep. They always look so in love, so happy. The way they would look at each other and the way their eyes lit up was so amazing to me.

There was this one couple who was around the diner a lot. The man would always open the door for her, pull her chair out for her, and he would always pay for their meal. The love between them was so noticeable. They were soulmates, to say the least.

"Kelsey!" Hands waved in front of my face, waking me from my daydream.

"Sorry V," I said.

She laughed, "It's okay, K. I just wanted a re-fill on my Cherry Coke," she said, sweetly.

"Coming right up!" I walked over to the soda machine and re-filled V's cup, but something caught my eye.

There was some guy staring at me. He was about my age, with brown hair, and a crooked smile on his face. He was kinda cute.

"Here ya go," I said and set her drink down.

"So, what time do you get off work?"

I looked at the guy, "Um, 6. Why?"

"Perfect! Benny and Yeah-Yeah wanted us to go on a double date. Well, it was my idea, but they didn't fuss," she said.

"Nice," I spoke, my eyes wandering back to the strange guy.

"So, you and Benny will be there?"

"I don't know, V." This guy looked so fucking familiar, but I couldn't figure out who he was.

She rolled her eyes and grabbed my hands, "Kelsey Ann Gunter! You need a break from all of this! You've been working way too hard lately and you need a break!" she pleaded.

"Okay! I'll go," I said.

The rest of my shift went so slow. I thought it would never end. By the end of it, there were about 5 people in the diner. I took my apron off and headed for the door.

"Excuse me?" That voice. I know that voice.

I turned around and came face to face with my ex, Jack. He looked the exact same as the last time I saw him. His brown hair, blue eyes, adorable smile.

"Jack," I breathed out.

"Hi cutie,"

6:17 p.m

                               b e n n y
I walked down the street with Yeah-Yeah and Veronica as we made our way to the diner to get my girl. I was so excited to see her and to kiss her and to hug her.

Once we reached the diner, I saw Kelsey. But, she wasn't alone. She was with some guy, laughing and smiling.

"Who is that guy?" Yeah-Yeah asked.

"I have no clue, but I intend to find out." I busted through the door, startling Kelsey and that stupid guy.

"Hi baby," she said and walked over to me, kissing me.

"Hi," I said.

"Benny, this is Jack," she explained.

Jack smiled, "Nice to meet you man,"

"How do you know him?"

"He's-"

"I'm her ex-boyfriend." My body went cold and anger coursed through my veins.

"Well, I'm her current boyfriend," I snapped, clenching my jaw as I pulled Kelsey to me.

"Yes he is! Well, we have to go. I'll see ya later, Jack," she said and dragged me out the door.

Kelsey dragged me down the sidewalk as Veronica and Yeah-Yeah followed us. The anger along with sadness was evident in her actions. The way she pulled me and the way she was breathing made me realize the pain she was feeling inside.

I pulled her back to me, "What's wrong, baby girl?"

"He was the first boy I ever loved. He made me feel so fucking special, but he also made me feel like shit. He had this side of him that I didn't love, and he knew that. He would always push me, call me names, tear me down, a-and,"

She stopped mid sentence and took a deep breathe.

"He, um, he did some horrible things to me," she finished, wiping her face.

"Baby-"

"But, that's all in the past. Now I have you and I've never been this happy." She smiled and hugged me. Her arms wrapped around my torso as mine wrapped around her shoulders.

"Let's go have some fun," she said.

We all walked down the street as we looked for something fun to do. Yeah-Yeah suggested that we break into the local pool, Veronica suggested that we should go get some food, and I suggested going to the Sandlot.

I could tell that Kelsey wanted to get into some trouble. Her anger was bubbling inside and and wanted to let it out.

She stopped walking and smirked, "Let's go in there and stir up some trouble," she said and pointed to an abandoned house.

"Hell yeah!"

"Let's fucking go!"

I looked at the house, took a deep breathe, and said, "Let's get going,"

the abandoned house

The house was covered in broken glass, empty bottles, and dust. It looked like someone just moved out. It was really weird.

Yeah-Yeah knocked over a glass case holding some nicknacks, causing a loud noise and more glass to cover the floor.

"Yeah-Yeah!" Veronica scolded, while Kelsey and I laughed.

Soon enough spray paint was brought out and more and more things were being broken. The house was a total mess, but we didn't care. We were all having fun and that's all that seemed to matter.

Kelsey dropped the can, "This has been one of the best nights of my life!" she said, smiling.

"Me too!"

"Yeah, yeah, way too fun!"

Out of the corner of my eye I saw flashing lights. The lights were blue and red, meaning the cops were here.

"Shit! The cops are here!" I yelled.

"Police!" they busted through the door, guns pointed towards us, "Hands up where I can see them!"

Veronica soon started to cry, along with Yeah-Yeah. They knew they were in deep, hell, I knew I was in deep shit too. But, Kelsey didn't seem to mind the cuffs being put on her wrists and the cops pushing her out of the door.

She didn't seem to mind at all.

a/n: hello babes. i'm back !! it feels like i've been gone forever. i just got back from vac and it was amazing lol. more importantly, THANK YOU GUYS FOR 11K READS !!! i am beyond thankful and blessed to have such amazing people read my book. i love you guys so much. stay strong, beautiful, and fierce 💛
-kels