chapter twenty-four.

k e l s e y

"Mom?"

"Hi sweetie!" she said, smiling at me.

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

She glanced at my Uncle George and back to me. She had on her favorite dress with her favorite heels. She looked the exact same as the last time I saw her.

"We need to talk," she said.

I looked at her, "About what? You being the shittiest mom ever?" I snapped.

"I know that I've made some mistakes, but-"

"Dad would've never given me up! No matter how fucked up things got!" I yelled at her.

All the anger and frustration I've been bottling up is finally coming out. My mother gave me up and didn't even think twice about it.

"You can't just walk back into my life and expect me to forgive you. I don't know if I'll ever be able to forgive you for what you did to me. I lost my dad and now I've lost my mom." Tears rolled down my cheeks and I could feel my hands shake.

"I'm here to pay for your college. As your mother I thought that was the least I could do," she said and set a check on the kitchen table.

I clenched my jaw, "No. The least you could've done was actually love and care for your daughter,"

"What do you want me to say, Kelsey? Do you want the truth?"

"Yes! That's all I've wanted!"

"I never wanted you and I still don't want you! You aren't important to me! You are just some worthless child!" she yelled at me.

She then stormed out of the house, leaving her daughter behind. Sobs escaped my mouth as I grabbed at my shirt. I dropped to my knees and just cried and cried.

I felt a hand cup my fave, making me look at them. Benny's eyes soon met mine and he had so much love in them. So much fucking love.

"Come on, baby," he spoke and grabbed my waist, helping me off the floor.

Benny and I walked up to my room, sitting on my bed. I laid my head on his lap and continued to sob. His fingers ran through my hair, soothing me as he whispered sweet nothings in my ear.

"She doesn't love me anymore," I whispered.

"I love you, baby. Your Uncle George loves you, your friends love you, and your dad loved you," he said, rubbing back.

I glanced up at Benny, "She's my mom. She's suppose to love me until the very end,"

"I know, but she's a horrible person who only cares for herself. You can't blame yourself that,"

"You're right. It just hurts,"

"I know it does, baby, but I'm here for you. As long as you need me." He said and kissed my head, still rubbing my back.

That's the thing I loved most about Benny. He'd give up anything to make someone happy and to make someone feel loved. Yet, sometimes he didn't feel loved or happy.

"I love you," I spoke.

He smiled, "I love you more, beautiful,"

veronica's house

V and I sat on her bed laughing at something she said. It was good to hang out with my best friend. It was good to get my mom off my mind and try to forget about what she said.

I decided that I needed some girl time. My night was gonna be spent laying in my bed, cuddling with Benny, but I needed to get out of the house.

"I can't believe that Yeah-Yeah did that!" I laughed, grabbing my stomach.

"He's crazy," V said.

I sighed, "How are you guys?" I asked.

"We're good! He's the most amazing boyfriend ever! I love him!" she gushed as a blush crept onto her cheeks.

"I'm happy for you V," I said.

"How are you and Benny?"

"We're okay. I just don't think I'm going to New York anymore though,"

New York was so far away and I want to stay here so I can take care of my Uncle, but I also want to stay for Benny. He's my boyfriend and I love him so much.

V frowned at me, "K, you gotta go to New York. Your dream school is there!"

"I know, but my Uncle may need me," I said.

"Benny is the real reason you wanna stay." V leaned back against the pillows on her bed, narrowing her eyes at me.

"I love him,"

"I love Yeah-Yeah, but I'm going away for college because I know we'll be okay,

"My dad grew up here and went to the college Benny is going to. Maybe that's where I should be," I explained, fiddling with the strings on my ripped jeans.

"Do they have a writing program there?"

I smiled, "Yeah, they do. I was just afraid that I wasn't going to get in,"

"Oh come on! You're crazy smart, athletic, and an amazing writer! You can get in anywhere!"

"Is it too late to apply?" I asked.

"Nope! Go and apply! Now!" V answered, pushing me off her bed and towards her door.

"Thanks, V! I love ya!"

"I love ya too, K!"

a/n: hello babes. here's another drama filled update. can we just talk about how shitty kelsey's mom is ??? i really hope you enjoy. i can't believe this is chapter 24 !! that's fucking insane. also thank you for 14k reads !!! i am so damn thankful for all the love and support on this book. i love this book with all my heart. it's all i ever wanted it to be. i love you all so much. stay strong, beautiful, and fierce 💛
-kels