chapter seventeen.

k e l s e y
Missing my dad was hard. I could feel my heart ache at the thought of him underground in a casket. I didn't think anything could be as hard as the funeral, but I was wrong.

It's been 1 year.

1 goddamn year since he's been gone. 1 year since he's left baseball. 1 year since he left is wife. But, it's been 1 year since he left his little girl to face the world alone.

"Kelsey?" my mother asked, peaking her head in my room.

"Yeah?" I asked.

"I just wanted to see how you were doing. I know today is a year since your father has been gone." She played with the hem of her apron. I could see the pain in her hazel eyes.

"I'm pretty terrible, not gonna lie mom," I said.

"I am too, sweetie," she whispered.

Really? Oh. Wow.

"We need to talk," she told me, sitting down on the end of my bed.

"Okay.."

"I've been thinking about giving you up for adoption,"

Wait, what? Hold the fuck up.

"What?" I asked.

"I can't be the mother you need me to be. It's too hard sweetie. It's very stressful on Randy and-"

"Shut the fuck up! Of course this is about Randy!" I screamed.

"Kelsey-"

"When are you gonna realize that he
doesn't love you, Momma? I am your daughter for God's sake!" I exploded.

This can't be happening. I know that I'm not the happiest here, but this is my home. This is where my dad grew up. I can't leave.

"The adoption agency will be here soon. I suggest you go say goodbye to your friends," she said and left my room.

the sandlot

Veronica.

She was the only person I wanted to talk to about this right now.

I walked onto the Sandlot and saw all the boys, along with Benny, drinking Coke Cola. I made my way over to the dugout replaying the situation that happened with my mom earlier.

"Kelsey!" Veronica called.

"Hi." I waved.

"Can we talk?" I asked, my eyes avoiding Benny's.

"Of course, K," she said.

We walked to home plate and I could feel the tears start to form in my eyes. I couldn't leave the boys, the Sandlot, Veronica, and I couldn't leave Benny.

"What's going on Kels?" V asked.

"My mom wants to put me up for adoption," I answered.

She stared at me for a couple seconds, processing what I just told her.

"K." She looked at me. Her brown eyes had tears in them. My chest hurt at the sight of my best friend crying.

"I'm sorry," I said. She pulled me into a tight hug. She held onto me like her life depended on it. I hugged back equally as tight. I was gonna miss her crazy ass.

"I love you and you better promise to call everyday, or I'll beat your ass," she said, sternly.

I couldn't help but laugh.

"I love you too, V. I promise I'll call twice a day," I spoke.

"You're getting adopted?" A voice behind me said.

I turned around and saw Benny there. His eyes were angry, sad, and beyond pissed off. His fists were balled at his sides, his jaw was clenched tight.

Oh, lord.

benny's room

I sat on Benny's bed as he paced back and forth. I couldn't bring myself to look at him so stressed out. It pained me.

"When were you gonna tell me?" he snapped.

"I wasn't going to," I whispered.

"Are you fucking kidding me?" he yelled at me.

I wanted him to be mad. It would make it easier to leave if he hated me.

"No. I wasn't going to tell you." I raised my head up to look at him. He was staring at me with rage, complete and utter rage.

"I'm your boyfriend! I should've been the first person you told!"

"I couldn't bring myself to,"

I heard him huff in annoyance. Good.

"You're unbelievable. I hope you know that. It's bullshit that you "couldn't" tell me. Complete bullshit," he said.

"Get over it Benny! I might not even be leaving! You don't have to worry about being tied down if I do leave though!" I stood up, yelling.

"What the fuck is that suppose to mean?" he asked, crossing his arms over his chest.

"You're king jock. You sleep with girls, make out with girls, receive blow jobs from girls, and give them whatever pleasure they want,"

"That was the old me!" he argued.

I gave a dark chuckle.

"Well, now you can go back to that beautiful life. Go get your dick sucked or go fuck some bimbo." I walked towards the door, only to be stopped.

"Why the fuck are you doing this?" he asked, moving in front of the door.

"You have a big dick, honey. I'm just setting you free," I said.

He rolled his eyes, but I could see a small smile form on his lips.

"Sometimes I hate that I love you so much," he mumbled.

"Benny, I'm not leaving," I said.

"My mom could adopt you," he said, grinning from ear to ear.

"I don't know." I bit my lip, thinking.

V's parents are too rude. Benny's mom is already too stressed. Small's mom is always busy. Yeah-Yeah lives with his grandma.

Mr. Myrtle?

Now, that was an option.

"What about Mr. Myrtle?" I asked.

"I dont know. It's a possibility, I guess," he answered.

I thought about it for a moment. His wife died and he has no grandkids. He's blind, so I could help around the house. I could also take care of Hercules.

"Let's go ask," I said, grabbing my jacket.

"Are you sure about this, baby?" Benny asked.

I paused for a moment.

"Yes," I answered.

a/n: hello babes. i'm back with another update. i really hope you guys like it and sorry to leave ya'll on a cliffhanger. we are so so close to 5k!!! i'm so happy. i love you guys so much. thank you for all the endless love and support angels. stay strong, beautiful, and fierce 🖤
-kels